Maccy @ Southsea

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

jim79
Regular
Regular

Maccy @ Southsea

Post by jim79 »

as per the tittle , not in great numbers but i went down south parade pier for a hour ish bang on high water and had 2 + a gar and gar following every other cast.

Finaly summer is on the way :D

peteo

Post by peteo »

Thanks Jim thats the best news i've heard for a while looking forward to getting out the weekend now :) things should really start to pick up :D

gnasher

Post by gnasher »

my tally for the pier this afternoon was---
11 mackerel.
4 bass (returned to sea) 2 caught within the first 10 mins.
1 weaver fish.
using feathers.
happy days.
:D

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

Good result especially for the nice,well done on the return mate.

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

Gar's???? never caught one, what are the best way to get one? float fish sandeel, mackie?? brilliant, got to be worth a go early morning over the weekend...

great report, thanks very much!!!

riki_79

Post by riki_79 »

I tend to use 2 size 2 or 4 hooks with a strip of ether mackeral or sandeel on a running float set to varying depths. & lightest gear possible, they're loads of fun to catch and really tasty too (you can even eat their bones whiuchh are green if you fry them up separately)

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

if im targetting the gar then its a size 4 on light float gear with a small ( and i mean small ) strip of mackeral ,

Obviously you can catch them on feathers but it'll take you 10mins atleast to untangle them after X(

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

Can't wait till the mackeral arrive down here :D

Greg

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

brilliant, thank you chaps!!! would you bother with a ground bait? are they close into the pier or a little further out ?? think i'll go down with really light bass or spinning gear..

with regard to ground bait, mackie and bread crumb to bulk it out?

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

no need to ground bait it , and even if you tried with the tide ripping through there at high water it would end up in the dockyard in about 2mins ,

and yea they are within about 10feet of the pier and under it .

Also on another note , im not 100% sure but it seems astho they have now marked fishing areas on the main pier , any1 that is a regular to the pier will know it as the bay area , yes they are finaly letting us fish there :D

so just double check where you are setting up

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

thank you mate, much appreciated!!

so where about's would i be most likely to catch a few gars and the odd mackie? i have only ever fished the pier once a few years back at night, we fished the top of the pier on a lower deck?! if this makes any sense..

aiming to get down early sunday morning, are they still doing the tickets? can i pay when i'm down there? also is there any restrictions on times to fish there?

thanks again

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

( this is all for about 2 hours either side of high tide)

Just found a arial pic of the pier , and added the red bits :P , these are the prime area's for the mackeral and Gar's , just a flick out away from the pier and letting the tide bring it back towards it ( paying attention to were you feathers / float is at all times as it will end up snagged on the pier extremely fast )

Also the 2 red areas marked on the main pier are also the new fishing areas , but i'd double check this again.

as for the ticket , you may get lucky as the guy doesnt always turn up 100% of the time but if he does it 2.50 per adult and the 1.00 per extra rod.

hope this all helps B-)

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

They are also starting to show in the harbour entrances.

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

thank you chaps, hats off to you all for the help! Jim you're a star..

will report as to how I got on..