mackerel must be here

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

alistair

mackerel must be here

Post by alistair »

im not sure if anyone elce has caught any yet but i had one mackerel 8miles off of littlehampton today it chased a strip of squid as it was realed in and got hooked , and im guessing it was not down there alone sooooo maybe thay are back with us, it seems early but a good sight for my eyes :)

limpetboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by limpetboy »

i had a few last tuesday and saw a few more taken so they are about but not in large numbers

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

Yea reports suggest theres Makies around with the warm weather

Craig :-h

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Why is everyone getting worked up about mackerel? I mean it's not proper fishing is it - just for boys and old men on piers.

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

it means that i can actualy get out during the day for a few hours and have a laugh on light float gear

oh and bait in the freezer !!

beachbum76

Post by beachbum76 »

go t to agree nothing better than 2 rods out and one feathering few beers sun good company free bait lol bring it on

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

eccles wrote:Why is everyone getting worked up about mackerel? I mean it's not proper fishing is it - just for boys and old men on piers.
When you get Mackerel on a fly rod its a damn good little fish that puts up a good fight.I cant wait for them to return in numbers.

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

if only they grew to 10-15lb in these waters , now that would be fun :D

limpetboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by limpetboy »

just wondering what proper fishing is,out on a boat next week will get some mackerel for bait but i wont got if its not proper :D

pompeyjoe
Regular
Regular

Post by pompeyjoe »

Free fresh bait and a bit of a laugh,means summers well on the way too so that cant be a bad thing eh :D

singlespeedman

Post by singlespeedman »

If anybody cares - I picked up a macky weighing in at around 1lb of Bournemouth Pier yesterday so I would say they are back. Now lets hope the macky eaters are going to arrive soon too.

illustriousgreen

south west

Post by illustriousgreen »

People have been catching them off boats in the south west in numbers, so they are about but just not in as many number ad we'd like.

It is great fishing i dont care what anyone says, using light tackle and float gear to fish for them is how i got hooked on fishing as a kid.

Like people are saying a couple of buckets of bait for the freezer and of course a few handfulls for the barbecue.

Cant wait for the shoals too come in and up the tamar, ill be there with a carrier bag full of beer and a few spinning rods, cant wait!

kingfisher14
Regular
Regular

Post by kingfisher14 »

I know what you mean eccles it dosen't require much skill and well lets be honest there easy to catch thats why everyone likes them but on the other hand they are nice to eat and provide entertaiment but only for about half hour lol.

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

I don't think it matters what you fish for as long as you get the pleasure from it,, personally a macky on light spinning gear is one of the best, pound for pound fighting fish in the world apart from a gar!! :D :D :D

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

the mackeral we were catching the other day on light spinning gear were a good 1lb , some of the largest ive seen in awhile , quality little fight :D , i cant see how its not enjoyable and the added bonus of free bait and i get on my grans good side for abit