Anybody here fished Elmer, Bognor Regis, West Sussex ??

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

Anybody here fished Elmer, Bognor Regis, West Sussex ??

Post by hooklineandsinker »

Playing around with Google Earth today when I came across Elmer, Bognor Regis, West Sussex.
Sure is a very interesting bit of coast line, has a mixture of everything.
Have a look on google Earth and you will see what I mean.

Decided to go there tomorrow morning and fish overnight and return on Sunday, it cant be any worst than the places I been fishing recently.
I will post my findings on here. :)

Pete.

peteo

Post by peteo »

hi pete never fished their but i know you can walk out at low water to the rock formations as my mates house backs on to them. and it is quite deep behind rocks. hope this helps pete :)

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

Cheers peteo, should be a good area for bass and bream, any info is welcome.

Pete.

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

It's been very quiet recently - waiting for some bass to show. Used to get flounders in numbers although not for several years, but there are eels at the right time of year (Elmer is derived from "eel mere"). The problem with Elmer is that it's very shallow so fishing is restricted to 3 hours either side of high water. Once it gets warmer, like with Climping, it's possible to get stingrays in the shallow water feeding up on shrimps and prawns plus the usual bass, mullet and mackerel. It can be good to camp out on one of the rock piles (sea defenses put in several years ago) over a high tide and spin for bass, but you'd need good weather and a lot of patience. Main issue with Elmer is that it gets very weedy - pair trawler activity just offshore and/or rough weather can throw up absolutely heaps of weed that makes fishing very difficult. Not sure whether a night tide will produce at the moment but rockling, pout and whiting (plus possibly doggies) might be on the cards. Kev

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

Cheers for that info Kev :D
At the moment i'm willing to catch anything to shake off this blanking spell :(
Shallow water is what i'm looking for, thought I would try using plugs to catch bass.
Been busy reading this web site -> http://www.mikeladle.com/chapter6.html
and -> http://www.mikeladle.com/chapter7.html
Willing to try my luck :)

Pete.

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

Hooklineandsinker. Best option for lure fishing is at the far eastern end of the beach on the rock groyne - as the tide floods over it (or ebbs back) bass will often be lying in wait. Alternatively, you could wade out over low tide and plug/spin over the rocky patches further out. There aren't any wooden groynes any more - they were removed when the rock piles were created, - but there are some towards Climping on the other side of the rock groyne. Spinning or working small redgills around the groynes used to be productive years ago. I'll be in Elmer this weekend to see the family over Easter so I may well pop down and see how you're getting on this evening. Kev

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

pompeykev wrote:Hooklineandsinker. Best option for lure fishing is at the far eastern end of the beach on the rock groyne - as the tide floods over it (or ebbs back) bass will often be lying in wait. Alternatively, you could wade out over low tide and plug/spin over the rocky patches further out. There aren't any wooden groynes any more - they were removed when the rock piles were created, - but there are some towards Climping on the other side of the rock groyne. Spinning or working small redgills around the groynes used to be productive years ago. I'll be in Elmer this weekend to see the family over Easter so I may well pop down and see how you're getting on this evening. Kev
Cheers Kev,
Can you bring some fish? I can't really remember what they look like :-/
Hope to see you there mate. :D

Pete.