Fishing river Itchen help / advice.

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

buster1978

Fishing river Itchen help / advice.

Post by buster1978 »

Hey yup guys. I am taking my son on his first fishing trip tomorow ( aged 7 ) . We are going to fish the Itchen at riverside park before the mansbridge sluese. If anyone has fished this stretch before i would like to hear about how you got on! or if anyone has any tips for me. I popped down today and found a few good marks espeicaly on the bank opposite the rowing club. If the salt water fish aren't up to much then i,ll just nip across the road and have a pop at the fresh water buggers. It would be great if my son could catch tomorow and suffer the fishing bug nice and young. Any help would be great .

Thanks Guys.

Buster. #:-S #:-S #:-S

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

Buster , you have a chance of an early mullet , trout or possibly salmon , use bread float fished for mullet and trout , worm baits for flounder and schoolies as there are hoards of school bass there , the pontoon is a good place to fish early morning / late evening but wouldnt advise it for any other time , day trippers feeding swans :(( , failing that walk up to the bend (small opening there) , and fish there , ive had some cracking trout there , but be warned if you dont have a gaming license all trout and salmon must be returned #:-S , pretty good tide for tommorow for this spot , 10.05 high water and at 4.3 metres , good luck and tight lines ;)

buster1978

Post by buster1978 »

Thanks cookol,
Great reply, There was a guy having a pop at the mullet down there today at low tide, near the outfall from the effluent plant. I dont know how he was getting on as i didn't want to interupt him. Once again thanks for the reply and i wil post how we got on.

Buster. ;)

kojak

Post by kojak »

another very good place is under the itchen bribge in the cross house carpark float fish with bread or rag on light gear at high water ive had many a great day pulling mullet schoolies and the odd trout but i did put that back as it was only 3lb ;)

harv02redred

Post by harv02redred »

oh buster, you know you cant catch nowt but pout. lol :D :D :D

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

How far up the inlet can you fish before you get into the fresh water?

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob »

bassfly wrote:How far up the inlet can you fish before you get into the fresh water?
The Woodmill lane bridge is the dividing point, anything north of it is freshwater.

Just a few hundred yards up the freshwater stretch last summer I was talking to an old boy who was spinning. He showed me a picture of him with a 33lb salmon from that exact spot!

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

Ooh i might just pop along there then.Sea to Fresh n back again.
Cheers
Tight lines.

MJB

Post by MJB »

cuckool wrote:but be warned if you dont have a gaming license all trout and salmon must be returned
From what I have heard, using a recognised method for catching Sea-trout and Salmon from a river (Fly, spinning, float fished prawn, worming) with a known migratory Salmonoid run requires you to have the Salmon & Migratory Trout licence. Retaining a fish is irrelvant although whether they would prosecute if you weren't in possession of a fish is open for debate, but ignorance of the law is not a defence.

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

Ignorantia juris neminem excusat

MJB

Post by MJB »

crapcaster wrote:Ignorantia juris neminem excusat
That's easy for you to say.

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

Thank Gawd ive got a licence then or id be in trouble.I won't get that trouble in Oz.....i hope.

buster1978

Post by buster1978 »

>:D<

buster1978

Result

Post by buster1978 »

Hi guys just a quick update really. Firstly thanks for the replys guy's.
The first time we went down my nipper caught his first fish after about 10 minutes. A nice schoolie bass about 10" . he was so chuffed with himself , It was great. Me on the other hand blanked !! But not through lack of bites just talent, i missed everything.
So not to be out down we popped down last night with some lighter tackle for an hour-ish and the fish just came coming . bite after bite and all nice schoolie's. I admit not the biggest fish but still great fun!!.
i really do recomend Riverside park ( sea water side ) if you are looking to give your kids that first fishing experience. Nothing extreme ,nice surroundings and protected from the elements.
Anyways i am of out tonite with Harv02red@s on his boat in the solent, Light tackle back in the shed hoping to get in to some proper sized fish, look out for the updates,

Buster .