trawlers in langstone

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

mike86

trawlers in langstone

Post by mike86 »

just a qick qestion. are trawlers aloud in langstone harbour? because there was two not far from the blocks today

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

think you will find they are traweling for clams or oysters which is allowed,they are doing the same just off tipner . great concern though mike86

mike86

Post by mike86 »

thats alright then.thought id ask.a few other people thought they were fishing

MJB

Post by MJB »

mike86 wrote:thats alright then.thought id ask.a few other people thought they were fishing
No it's not alright. Dredging for scallops and clams destroys the sea bed.

ksl
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ksl »

yes they r shellfish trawlers ,but they still catch fish then sell them really cheap.along with the seals no wonder there is no fish in the harbours, should be forced to throw back any fish they catch ,thats my opinion.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

i thought they had to throw all fish back.

fishyrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishyrob »

ksl wrote:yes they r shellfish trawlers ,but they still catch fish then sell them really cheap.along with the seals no wonder there is no fish in the harbours, should be forced to throw back any fish they catch ,thats my opinion.
Cool..... Where can I go to buy a cheap seal........ ??? :)

the-cod-father

Post by the-cod-father »

All kinds of trawling destroy the sea bed but trawling shell fish is the worst kind as nothing is left alive and all cover for small fish is destroyed + loads of fish crushed as well!
Ban it !

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

i awlways see them in and around the harbour X( X( X(

PhilC

Post by PhilC »

the-cod-father wrote:All kinds of trawling destroy the sea bed but trawling shell fish is the worst kind as nothing is left alive and all cover for small fish is destroyed + loads of fish crushed as well!
Ban it !
You might be interested on a similar topic that I started on anther board, you have the answer there from a guy who has witnessed the destuction these boats do as a diver..
http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-16546.html

I know it is some ones livley hood but I am sorry it is in my opinion criminal damage.
In fact in the south west around lyme regis they have shut down an area so they can study this problem.
If some of you have fished this area perhaps you would like to partake in a survey regarding this type of problem.
Folks, with all of the talk and evidence in the demise of fishing on Chesil, you may want to help research into it by completing the attached - http://web.pml.ac.uk/lymebay/default.php

Tight Lines Phil

seaotter

Re: trawlers in langstone

Post by seaotter »

Before ...
Bottom-trawlers use weighted nets to scour the ocean floor. The nets are designed to catch fish, but they rip out corals and other marine organisms.
and after
The same area of sea floor after the trawl has gone. Pictures like this are the reason why bottom-trawling is sometimes compared to the clear-cutting of tropical rainforests; what remains is an ecological desert.
They are all the same trawls and dredges they kill bottom-living creatures and reefs which are not their intended target.And this is what fish need to keep there food chain going.So i am with you ban it................ :(

mike86

Post by mike86 »

thats shocking

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

i am all for a ban,seeing pictures like this just increases the need for it , but where do we start .it proves what can happen if a ban is inposed by looking at lyme bay in dorset . may go on the southwest site where there is a big issue on chesil aswell and see how lyme bay ban was started and get some info .understand these boys trawling have got a living to make but at wot cost .i will post later