Redbridge Wharf Park

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

b2k2

Redbridge Wharf Park

Post by b2k2 »

Hi,

I have recently been looking for new marks to fish and wondered if anyone has ever tried Redbridge Wharf Park in Southampton.

It is situated at the very top of southampton water at the beginning of the test. It is accessable from a foot bridge only over Redbridge train station and all around the waters edge is a path with metal railings. The section of water it covers is used by water skiers in the summer, i have looked over the area many a time when driving over Totton by pass but have never seen anyone fishing there.

I might just go and give it a go this week as I have some time off work, but if anyone knows anything about this spot I would be very interested.

Alan :)

uwishjellyfish

Post by uwishjellyfish »

i reckon this time of year during the day your gonna get flounder coz its all mud but not much else-i agree be interesting to try though..

kojak

Post by kojak »

I know where you mean i wanted to try this but the gate has always been locked so i dont know if you can get in lokks like it could be a good place

b2k2

Post by b2k2 »

uwishjellyfish wrote:i reckon this time of year during the day your gonna get flounder coz its all mud but not much else-i agree be interesting to try though..
My thoughts exactly, looks like a prime flounder location. I have been reading on another forum about the habits of flounder in Poole harbour and they reckon that they go right to the top of the harbour this time of year with the juviniles going up the rivers to get away from preditors. As this spot is at the top of our estury it could have good potential.
kojak wrote:I know where you mean i wanted to try this but the gate has always been locked so i dont know if you can get in lokks like it could be a good place
When did you last try to get over there? I went and checked the park out in october and the gate was open. There was a sign up saying that it would be locked from something like 3rd to 23rd November for maintenance work. I'll go and check it out again tomorrow or tueday. Just hope they don't lock the gates while i'm fishing!

silverfox
Regular
Regular

redbridge

Post by silverfox »

Hi mate,

The venue is a great bass mark during late July/August but you need to get there very early morning on a rising tide. Try peeler crab. As for flounders its not the best place, you do get them but a far better venue is goatee. Fish there by the old toilet block about 3 hours before high. There is a slip way on the beach that area can produce good bags of fish upto 8 a session.

Use only ragworm and take lots of them.

Cheers
John

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob »

I've fished this venue years ago before it was a park and would echo what silverfox says about it. Had a few flounder there but mostly schoolies, there are hundreds of them there in the summer. Never had a decent sized bass there but am certain they are there and crab may be a better bet for the bigger ones.

You get some big silver eels there in the summertime too again on crab.

b2k2

Post by b2k2 »

Thanks for that Silverfox! I have heard that Goatee is very supposed to be very good. Been there before and fished the beach opposite the docks but never had much luck, worth another go though.

Is the toilet block your talking about the one in the car park by the mill? If so are you talking about fishing the other side of the mill from the ealing marina? Not sure where that slip way is either, need to go and have a look its been a while since I have been down there.

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

Back in the old days when i had no transport i used to fish there alot of time's and goate beach , old redbridge as we called it before they made a park and after they make the park it was a really nice relaxing place to fish until some young t**ts messed it up and you can catch nice bass and mullet there and pretty much as the other's have said , as for goate only had a few nice eels if you want really good fun then pack light and walk right up goate beach till the little forest of tree ( basicly half way to maggy lane ) plus in certain places you can dig maddies from goate hence the reason why its good flounder ground.

gary

lecheffie

Post by lecheffie »

Ive had Dog Fish, Pout, Bass, Sea Trout there in the past.

berus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by berus »

I was there earlier this year with a mate, I had a few knocks but didn't catch and my mate had a schoolie bass. I found that when the tide was 2-3 hours, the tide run is bad and had quite a bit of weed. Perhaps we picked a crap day but I'll be going back down there at some point.

Mark

b2k2

Post by b2k2 »

Thanks for all the input guys! I've been checking out the few spots that have been mentioned and think I'm going to give Goatee a go tomorrow morning! Going to be an early rise as high tide is about 10.15am.

Think I may have another go on friday and its a toss up between Northam bridge or Hythe reclaimed land, got a day to decide..

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks,
Alan :)

berus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by berus »

I'll be going down to Goatee beach at some point to see if I have any luck with the Flounder there... lets us know how you get on.

Mark