Swanage Report 13/08

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

fairdooz

Swanage Report 13/08

Post by fairdooz »

Been down in Dorset for the week, explored most the beaches from Milford, right along to Weymouth, but to not much joy, couple of flatties and plenty of pout, school bass and odd doggie. The weathers been miserable however, and i have to leave on friday back up to London til sept which is a fair upset lol.

However! today Dorset had a surprise in stall for me, i decided to fish Swanage pier on the evening high tide....seems theyve decided to close it at 6pm now lol didnt have much else choice but to try the bay in which swanage lies, not much joy, few wrasse and small pollock to worm baits, but then I decided to take a rod and wander the bay behind the pier....its to the right of the pier bout a 5min walk. the tackleshop owner suggested it...but he also suggested buying extra tackle as its simply a blanket of rough ground. The wind had died off so thought id just finish the day there. when i got there, i could see the gorund was rough, so at first i tried float fishing a worm, the float constantly dipped to small pollock, which was great sport. then i noticed a couple of dark shadows moving within the weed and rocks so i put on surface lure, never caught a thing on a surface lure but didnt wanna rick losing any in the rocks, after half a dozen casts a bass slammed into the lure, after a few minutes i managed to get it in. just under 5lbs, but its been the complete highlight of my week.

Im not sure what the bays called, i think its Durstone, or something beginning with D. however, it seems to be teeming with fish, and i hear its far better now since the harpon fishing has stopped.
Tight lines.

berus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by berus »

I think you may mean Durlston, but that isn't important - you caught a good sized fish- I'd be chuffed with a 4+ pounder!

Interesting about the pier closing at 6pm as this was somewhere I was debating about going to, as I could do a bit of looking for reptiles on the nearby heathlands, followed by some fishing.

Mark

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

Swanage Pier is owned by a charitable trust; it is staffed by elderly volunteers who, quite understandably get fed up with the attitude and actions of young (and sometimes old ) yobs. It used to be open at night; someone lit a fire on the boat landing lower deck.... others gutted their mackerel and smeared the blood and guts all over the glass and freshly painted shelter.... others use the seats as bait boards.
The non fishing yobs annoy the fishing yobs by pier jumping which is banned by law..... after being told to f off by the sundry chavs, yobs and hooligans.... the volunteers decided there were better ways of spending their evenings. I do not blame them.
How much help did they ever get from other adults fishing on the site ? you guess*.
To fish the pier at night you need to be a member of the Swanage and District Angling Club and there must be at least two people fishing.
http://swanageanddistrictanglingclub.blogspot.com/

* "for evil to prevail requires only that good people do nothing......"
so pretend you don't notice the yobs, convince yourself that it is none of your business, leave it to someone else..... and lose your good venues one by one........ then you will notice..... and whinge.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

No wonder we get peeed off! Read my report General Chat / Foul hooking fish.
Makes your blood boil don't it? keith :(( :(( :((

fairdooz

Post by fairdooz »

just checked map, your right it was durlston lol yeh its best bass ive caught from shore in long time, im still debating going back down and trying my luck haha. ah, i understand the swanage pier closing now, great shame tho it was a great marks at times.