Hengitsbury Head, Mudeford, Christchurch

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Hengitsbury Head, Mudeford, Christchurch

Post by Geggy_poos »

has anyone fished at any of these spots latley? if so what did you catch and on what?

im going fishing tomurrow after school down at hegitsbury head! ill let you know how i get on

let me know :D

greg

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Used to do Hengistbury Head years ago but haven't been lately. There is a deep hole just to the right of the end banjo jetty, might be worth casting into there.

ejay

Post by ejay »

im around that area n goin tomuz may see ya down there =]

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

well lets put it this way! i didnt catch a thing :(( :(( :((

if i had got there 20 mins earlier i would have caught some mackerel! but the wind changed direction and they all went. so i chucked on a ragworm and nothing happened :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

maybe better luck tomurrow??

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Day light fishing the hengistbury head groyne can be very good this time of year, float fishing can be very productive, fishing shallow for Garfish with small strips of fish or deeper for the Wrasse using ragworm.
cheers
mrix

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

thanks for that. what size hook sould i use and do i need a thinner line down at the hook? also do i need the bait to be just of the sea bed?

greg

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark »

Hi Greg, sory about th slow reply. I was there last Mon and caught loads of wrass, some of a decent size as well. I was straight out off the end of the groyne. Bait used was rag on a two hook flapper using 1/0 hooks. I even caught a mackarel on rag as well. as i reeled in one fish a small (about 6) group of big bass follwed it all the way in so i changed to a dexter but to no avail, i will just have to wait for my bass. By the way i fished the in and the only fish that were caught were from the end. There were a couple of people fishing mid way up the groyne on the left hand side but caught nothing. Be careful at high water as waves come over the end if there is a slight swell. Good luck.

Mark

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

thanks! i went again today and had 2 fair sized bass on the hook, but as i reeled in and they where just at the surface infront of me they got off. ( they where at different times ) is that bad luck or was it my fault. i didnt blank tho!!!! i caught a little weaver fish :D :D :D :D!

it was a good day :D

greg
Last edited by Geggy_poos on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ejay

Post by ejay »

lol it was fun today a bloke down there told me about little clumps of limpwit or summin and caught a bass and had a few on me line that came of :(( :((

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

nice one ejay :D :D i picked up a load of limpits along the beach! :D :D there where loads of them i brought a few home ut i think im going to have to get some tumorrow if they are still there :-/ :-/

greg

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

mrix thanks for that advice i caught 6 wrasse all on wragworm :D. i cant cast very far but i got the fish at about 50 yards out i guess :D :) :)

hopefully going again tomurrow

greg

rag
Occasional
Occasional

Post by rag »

geggy_poos wrote:mrix thanks for that advice i caught 6 wrasse all on wragworm :D. i cant cast very far but i got the fish at about 50 yards out i guess :D :) :)

hopefully going again tomurrow

greg
fish close to the rocks anywhere halfway to the top of the groyne is good, went there end of last week for about 3 hours had about 30 wrasse tiny ones going upto about 2Lbs allso quite a few rockling.i fished useing a float mainly 6-8ft deep but did vary the depths a bit,size 4 hook and half a ragworm. went there on monday with my son for a bit of spinning but as soon as i started so did the rain, haveing caught a wave on the back when i was setting up soaking wet and 10mins later we headed off home. might be popping down there in an hour or i might try friers cliff, not made my mind up yet. :D :D AD

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

thanks.....when float fishing do you use the setup that alows your float to run free along the line or do you secure it at a certain depth??

cheers greg

rag
Occasional
Occasional

Post by rag »

geggy_poos wrote:thanks.....when float fishing do you use the setup that alows your float to run free along the line or do you secure it at a certain depth??

cheers greg
i use a ledger stop at the depth i want and also put one about 12" from the hook just to keep the float away from the hook, ledger stops are great for this but elastic bands work just as well, some people use shot but i personally wouldn't. :D :D AD