RUBBISH!

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

RUBBISH!

Post by bassfly »

Dissapointed today to see how much rubbish had been left from some of the night time anglers.Im talking about beer cans,BBQ stuff,plastic bags,newspaper,reel boxs,rags etc.Is it really asking too much to clear up after yourselves.

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Its a shame for the sport :( , but generally there is so much litter around from many people visiting the beach not just from sea anglers, also a fair bit gets washed up.
Cheers
mrix
Last edited by mrix on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryBadd

Re: RUBBISH!

Post by GaryBadd »

bassfly wrote:Dissapointed today to see how much rubbish had been left from some of the night time anglers.Im talking about beer cans,BBQ stuff,plastic bags,newspaper,reel boxs,rags etc.Is it really asking too much to clear up after yourselves.
fact is m8 the answer is yes it is too much hard work to take home :( and the mount of members off this site saying they had to take other anglers rubbish home well they deserve a medal , and before long these place's that we love to fish will be banned due to mindless littlelouts , everytime i go i take a few drinks and sarnys which what i dont eat goes into the sea aka bread , if i have a birdnest and i cut some line that ends up in the plastic bottle at the end of the night if i got bait left i normally throw into the sea unless i can reuse it and the packaging end up in a carrier bag so nothing is left were my spot were i was fishing , as long as we do our part mate i guess least we know were not to blame.
Gary

Welchy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Welchy »

It's not just here, I have just come back from Guernsey and one place i fished were the rocks to the south of Saints harbour and the rubbish was appalling fag packets, beer cans, tangled line etc, when i finished i cleared probably a carrier bag of other peoples rubbish, and the worst thing was there were bins no more than 50 yards away.

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher »

Where did you fish bassfly

I had to bring home some empty bottles and a foil bbq tray Sat morning that some one left behind. They had the room in their bags to take it to the beach so why did it not fit back in their bags to take home. :(

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

over magazine lane i fish the backwater part facing eling quay and all you see is beer cans , bbq''s empty vodka bottle and scorch grass , and thats not due to anglers its a lovely place to fish for flounders and bass yet teenagers like to camp there and wreck the place its a shame , they even set alight to some of the big oak tree's and there is no access for the fire engines , if any-one has fished this place im sure you have seen the same .
Gaz

jester

Post by jester »

Litter has always been an excuse to hound anglers and on many occasions I have carried extra weight home due to less careful anglers using rivers and lakes I have fished (where public were not allowed).
Since being in Weymouth I have noticed the difference in the fact that tourists are in abundance even along piers etc so anglers are bound to take the brunt off blame although not always the cause.

I have always gone by the thought that if I pick it up then it won't be someone elses problem (and wont harm wildlife) and if (a bonus I feel) a non anglers notices me doing this they may see we are not always the bad guys.

Pat

alwoowar

Post by alwoowar »

good work jester =D> If more anglers took that attitude then certain places would be more inclined to welcome us rather than be closed to our use.
I'm a member of Shoreham Angling Squad and one of the clubs aims is to keep the westarm at the harbour tidy,i've only joined in on one of the tidying sessions so far due to lack of time but i always take a bin liner full away with me when i have a session down there (and other places i fish).

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

there was alot of rubbish left at hengitsbury head today by some other fishermem i ended up taking it home. i dont see why people cant take a bag and throw there rubbish in there then take it home! its not too much to ask is it?

ejay

Post by ejay »

its a shame i a;ways take mine home

scottydog

Post by scottydog »

I fish down at calshot a fair bit and about 3 months ago i grabbed 4 bags of beer cans and 2 bags of line after a fishing comp I think that the organisers should be held resposable.

jester

Post by jester »

[quote="scottydog"]I fish down at calshot a fair bit and about 3 months ago i grabbed 4 bags of beer cans and 2 bags of line after a fishing comp I think that the organisers should be held responsible.[/quote]

Perhaps if not already a "group clean up" be incorporated to matches especially with youth and younger.
At the end of the day just get together and quickly comb the area the match was held around and surely this will bring in more praise for all anglers and teach the younger anglers how to protect their sport.

Pat

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

Pat we arrange a comp down calshot on june 1st it was for southampton children's ward and there wasnt many of us but we still manged to take home the rubbish and leave it as it was , but a few month before that comp there was a 2yr old lab with its owner and the dog ate a rig left behind with bait on by a angler and the 2yr lab had to be put down as it messed up his insides and the locals were up i arms over anglers fishing the beach !!! but i know this site and members do there best :D .
Gaz

jester

Post by jester »

Hi Gaz
It seems to me no matter how hard we all clean up and fight to keep non anglers respect there will always be those that don't care or uneducated.
The Lab story is very sad indeed but I am afraid that this sort of case is still too common, I guess if we keep doing as we are doing then at least we can sleep in the knowledge that we are not making it more common.

Just today on the beach (doing my impression of a beached whale) I noticed rubbish accumulate over the time I was there (even a young gull caught up in some paper until it freed itself) and not on angler in sight.
Nice to see the Weymouth council employees do a beach comb for rubbish though but makes you think that MAYBE some of these slamming anglers were the cause not cure today.

How many are blaming anglers just because they don't like anglers.

sorry rabbiting on again.

Pat

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

hi pat i totally agree with you and the fact is you live in one of the best parts of the country and yet as you say the council dont do s**T , weymouth is a lovely place in the summer and winter yet as you said nothing happens to help , maybe if the tourist popualation dropped down then i bet they would move fast !!!!
thanks mate
gaz