learning to cast again

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

learning to cast again

Post by royboy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:35 pm

i decided i wanted to go back to basics with my casting i asked two 70 year old anglers to put me through my new casting
i have never used a multiplier in my life and i found it really hard to come to terms with
the way i used to cast have had to be taken out my mind and learn a new cast after three lessons i cast a multi for the first time i never cast hard and i was surprised to have cast 140yds the two men who are helping me cast 250yds and there 70 years old and they tell me i will not stop till i do the same

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Wow, if they can cast baits 250 yards they are probably the only ones in the country who can (outside of tournament casters).

I stopped practising some time ago now. Never seems enough fish about to justify the time and effort.

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi Roy
What type of casting was you doing? Pendulum or off the ground? What made you try a multiplier reel? After so much success with a fix spool?
Cheers ian

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:26 am

they used to be tounement casters and top match anglers now they just pleasure fish they practise together 3 days every week
to start with they have me casting of the ground and when they say im ready i will start the pendalum swing i was using a multi reel as im using there gear and i have to use a multi but i will also learn to pendalum cast with my fixedspool reel as well
in the club i fish for we have one of the top casters in the country hes the yorkshire champ as well some of the top match fishermen go to him to help if there casting goes wrong

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 am

Interesting, I used to be rubbish (70 yds max) but a few years ago I got fed up with my then mate laughing at me so decided I must learn to do better. I started with OTG but soon realised that clipped down rigs come apart most of the time. Then I saw an article by John Holden advising the use of an airialised OTG (sort of half pendulum if you will). I got the hang of it after about an hours practice and do it all the time now. Gets me out over 100 yds which is plenty in most of the venues I fish. Let's not forget however that after dark a lot of fish come in quite close and a 50 yd lob will often find fish like bass and sole in the right locality.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:24 pm

I know some good anglers up and down the coast from pompey to Plymouth.casting 140yrds with bait for a novice user of the multiplier reel is a great achievement.well done roy
mick