braid which type????

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

braid which type????

Post by smallfry »

Just been going through my tackle checking everything is ready for my next session making sure everything is clean and tidy when I noticed my mono line is ready for are change its starting to look dull and its been on for about a year. Anyway this got me thinking I might give braid a try and this is where its tricky my fix spool reel holds about a 300 yards of 15lb mono as braid is thinner I'm going to need more do I buy a cheaper make on a 600m spool or a couple of slightly more expensive spools and knot them? Not sure which to do, or do I forget braid and stick with mono?
Cheers Ian.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Horses for courses mate. In your situation I would use mono as backing and go for a good braid. Such braid as Ron Thomson spring to mind or one of the well proven and popular types
Cheers
keith :D :D

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

what line to use depends on the conditions as braid is no good when theres a sea running or a strong tide running as theres no stretch in braid and your rod end will never stop moving and your lead will keep getting pulled loose with mono you dont get these problems i dumped my braid as i was loosing fish as a good fish can pull the hook as theres no stretch i fish off beaches but if your fishing off piers it might be differant

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry »

cheers for the replies
i'll probably stick with the mono as i tend to fish clean sandy beaches round chapel and skegness and there can be strong tides.
thanks again ian

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi Ian, i used 80lb braid straight through for over 3 years, (courtesy of rabbi2s comp prize) I wouldnt use anything else now. i rarely lost tackle, about 3 rigs in 3 years, and even pulled a full kelp plant with rock still attached 150ft up high knab cliff. i now use 30lb braid, as i have had to switch to lighter gear. i personally dont have any probs, because i got used to it, which is the same for mono, knowing if its a fish or tide wind etc, is a prob with either, once you get to know it, its a doddle, and tackle loss is minimal, making up for the cost of braid, im getting some more on Ebay, i have 3 more reels to fill before my holiday at ingoldmells in 12 days. might see you there, look for a mupppet in a wheelchair with a big yellow coat on, :D :D :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Braid has very little tidal resistance as compared to mono lb for lb therefore the weight should hold better. For example a good 30lb braid has about the same diameter a 10lb mono. Anyone fishing in fast tidal water should be up-tiding so as to give the weight a chance to anchor itself.

As for loosing fish, this I haven't experienced as I set the clutch so as to give line to a hard fighting fish after all that's what the clutch is designed to do.
Cheers

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

i know you use braid mick but the distance you cast you would not be in the tide that much your health stops you casting but you still drag with your braid on ive pulled your gear in when you have dragged in front off me as for your drag i know what its for but i only set mine when i fish off cliffs so that when im lifting my fish and they starting thrashing they can take line rather then pull my hook
i have seen fishermen put mono shock leader on there braid to try to stop the movement off ther rod tips and there lead from being pulled
braid will be good on piers walls and jetties as you can get out the tide and its easier to fish off these then beaches remember on a beach the tide go in and out on piers it just goes up and down remember what you said to me on spurn
i dont like spurn the tide goes out that tell me all i need to know

hatter
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hatter »

Just to add to this topic i had braid on my reelsand i was getting dragged all over.had a
discussion with some very fishermen i changed to mono and all my problems were gone

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

every fisherman is differant you could put 10 fisherman in a room and every one would have a differant view on line rods rigs bait what works down south could be no good up north

hatter
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hatter »

This is true Roy but 5 of thrm will be talking complete rubish and trying to look cleaver The fishermans tale comes to mind

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

I find braid good in rocky areas or when there is strong weed. Each to there own in different situations ;)

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

I,m starting to read more that braid gives you a better bite detection and cast better (on a fixed spool reel) more so than mono .I think is a personal thing depending on angler or mark the area's I fish mono is all I need unless spinning. :D

DAZ B-)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Braid is designed to keep you in contact with the fish from the first bite to landing it, mixing mono and braid defeats the object.

There are those who swear by braid and those who wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and no amount of discussion will change their way of thinking. Perhaps they had tried braid years ago when it was nearly as thick as mono and was terrible stuff, but the new brands that are on the market now are superb and at least tried so as to make your own mind up as to the pros and cons.
Cheers

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry »

thanks for all the input guy's i'll look into it and probably put it on one reel and see how i get on.
tight lines ian.