squid is it worth it??????

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

squid is it worth it??????

Post by smallfry » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:56 am

hi all
the reason i ask this about squid is i've never had a fish with it. i've tried it loads in cocktails on its own and the only thing i've found is it keeps the crabs busy :D . i know its good for boat fishing but i fish from the shore round chaple and ingoldmells so its clean sandy beaches usually rigged on a pennel, hook through the top then either second bait threaded on and hooked through the second and bait cottoned up for nice sausage shaped parcel or simply hooked twice on its own and sent into the deep.is it worth persevering with or just leave it in the tackle shop freezer?
cheers ian :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 am

I have never bothered with squid apart from using small portions to keep a soft bait clear of the hook point.

I find that the usual favourites such as rag, black lug, blow lug, crab and mussel usually find the fish.

That is not to say as you rightly pointed out, it does have it's uses as a lot of members will testify.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 am

on the south coast I use nothing but squid have not bought rag or lug for years

tomm

Post by tomm » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 am

hi smallfry squid is definitely worth trying at those two marks this time of year, a full squid fished at long range will often find the thornies and dont be surprised if you find the odd very big bass at distance too ;)

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:04 am

I use squid strip for bream and, as with mackerel strip, it's a good bait for them. Whole squid also works for cod (when there are any about) and conger (ugh).

Whether tipping baits with squid attracts more bites is one of those fishing folklores that may or may not be true. Squid is probably not an all-round bait like worm, but does have its time and place. And it's pretty cheap.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Had some great fish on whole squid bass,smuts and dont forget them dirty dogs :D

DAZ

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:25 pm

I think it depends on what the fish expect to find at a particular location. For example here in the Solent slipper limpet is virtually guarenteed to find bass after we have had a bit of a blow because the fish are expecting to find it anyway. I bet it wouldn't work up north though because you probably have very little or no limpet up there. Conclusion: If squid doesn't catch in your area, don't bother with it.

donnylad

Post by donnylad » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:I use squid strip for bream and, as with mackerel strip, it's a good bait for them. Whole squid also works for cod (when there are any about) and conger (ugh).

Whether tipping baits with squid attracts more bites is one of those fishing folklores that may or may not be true. Squid is probably not an all-round bait like worm, but does have its time and place. And it's pretty cheap.

Totally agree,there are certain aereas that squid will take fish all day (unwashed that is)and the right condition's,but as a solo bait for me squid are way down the pecking order,stick to the traditional bait's and you wont go wrong ;) the only way to try different bait's is multihook rig's,i.e flappers,but alway's make sure that at least one of the top bait's is offererd(CRAB,WORM,CART,SANDEEL'S)otherwise youll never know which bait they prefare,it really help's in the long run,...mick.