Holyhead report,

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Holyhead report,

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, i met up with Strathy at his farm, and off we went down to holyhead. The journey down was trouble free and we arrived in good time. The weather forecast wasnt brill, but we were lucky, on the 1st day at the breakwater it was quite nice. I caught 4 tiddlers all at the same time on a sabiki. We gave it a couple of hours then moved to the other side of the island, on the way i saw some really nice rock marks, easy to fish from. We arrived at a small place i cant remember the name of, and after a short walk arrived at a nice big rock mark with deep water. Again i was using the sabiki tipped with lug this time, my only catch was a blenny. The biggest seal ive seen did,nt help matters, and he brought his mate with him, they were waiting for peeps to catch, then nicking the fish off the hooks. On sunday we met up with Rabbi2 and Co, they had been there a while with no luck, the rain was coming down now n then, but not too bad. Once again the crabs were rife and stripping the hooks so it was the trusty sabiki again tipped with lug, this produced 2 wrasse for me. At 13.30 myself n Rabbi set off for home, I was having a great weekend with Mike, but suffering for it. I don't know if strathy caught after we left, but i'm sure he will let us know. I know he did'nt catch up to then cos he was experimenting to see if various lures/techniques would work. Thats about it, for me it was a good weekend, i broke my blanking streak, and had good company with a top bloke who knows a lot about fishing, though he lost me right from the start as ive never tried what he does. Heres to the next time. Cheers..Mick

hatter
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hatter »

Glad you had a good weekend mick and thanks for the report

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

nice report mick and can i say its nice to read a report were you caught a fish welldone mick

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

As Mick says I,d decided to spend the weekend playing with plastics so didn,t do too well at first.
Tried dropshotting with 6" Gulp worms on size 2 Daiichi stand-off hooks at the breakwater, its been a killer system for me for Perch this year so far, and I thought it would be a killer technique for the Wrasse, and I was getting a lot of knocks but couldn,t connect with anything. Mick got a 4 shot of 3" herring on size 8 sabbikis, so if thats what was about , no wonder I couldn,t connect with the nibblers.
We then went to Moelfre to find the Makkie off the slabs at the lifeboat station. As Mick says there were 2 seals there confiscating nearly all the makkies that got hooked. I also had a monumental frap up. ( always check and reset multi brakes after a clean and relube Duh....).
Bit damp on sunday when Rabbi,s clan came down. they got away just in time, as 10 mins after they left the waves started coming over the wall where they,d been fishing. I nipped down to Malc,s at ABC for some local info and just caught low water slack in the Straits. Managed to cure the blanking disease Mick had passed onto me with a 13" schoolie between the bridges, caught on a Dexter Darter.
Back home now , can,t wait to get out again.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi Mike, well done on the fish, i was hoping you would revert to the tried n trusted and catch something before you left. I had a really good time fishing, and hope we get to do it again. I will let you know when n where I'm going to be, so if you can manage a night or two at all your welcome to come over, theres plenty of room in the tent, and you wouldnt need more than your fishing gear. Oh, and the takeaways over here deliver on site, ;)

pendulampete

Post by pendulampete »

What a waste of money etc
30mph westerlies forecast and a trip to Ynys Mon and stand on the breakwater hmmm....The most westerly point :-O

Been better off staying at home and arrange a new date

pete ;)

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

We actually had a reasonable weekend, the weather wasnt as bad as the forecast. Wind was fairly light, and we had sun most of the time till sunday, when it showered for a few minutes now n then, We had a much better time than the forecast predicted. :D

buster175
Regular
Regular

Post by buster175 »

Thats the thing though mike can't get out that often due to him having a farm so when he does get the chance to go he tries to make the most of it. Glad you all had a good weekend.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The problem was Pete the date was set for a comp but it was turned into a meet due to the lack of interest. Strathy and Manic had set off on the Friday so it was too late to call it off. Besides that seeing that I had arrange it, the least I could do was to turn up.
Cheers
keith :D :D

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

The beauty of Anglesey / Holyhead is that with a max of 40 mins drive you can find a fishable mark whatever the weather.
Unluckily Mick didn,t bring his oxygen so some of the marks that would have been fishable were out of bounds to us.
There were a couple of marks in the Treaddur area that would have been fishable, and actually fished well for other anglers on the sunday, and the Straits were fishing well with bait but not plastics.
Next time I,m going to make sure he brings the oxygen .