Help needed

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
ironman

Help needed

Post by ironman »

Hi all , I'm not new to fishing but recently I've been told I'm doing it all wrong ! I watched others and realized my casting is pretty poor ( I've been told I'm a overhead thumper ) I NEED help !
If anyone in the Tyneside area knows of someone or indeed IS that someone who teaches casting will they let me know ?
AND my catch rate must be suffering so any pointers of what , where and when for different types of rigs would be a help !
Thanks in advance guys !

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Welcome to the site m8, not my area but im sure theres someone that can help ;)

doddsa

Post by doddsa »

I have herd that reel sports on dean road in south shields might have some one who can give advice on casting and they are very helpfull there any ways
good luck
mike

ironman

Post by ironman »

Thanks for that Mike...........I'll make inquiries

ian1965

Post by ian1965 »

Hi.

i always thought a massive cast was the sign of a good beach caster but its not 9 times from 10 you overcast the feeding fish if you cast 70 yrds plus, normaly (loose term) 30 to 40 yrds is more productive, iv fished all over the world and normaly this is the best distance as the bed is churning and that is where they prey.

A straight 40 yards is better than a stray 100 yard cast 90% of the time..

Ian

ironman

Post by ironman »

I've managed 80-100yds with my new reel (7ht mag) but it seems to me that I'm stlll putting in a lot of effort for a small distance ....so maybe I need to fine tune my cast and my reel together ! Thanks for your thoughts Ian , they make perfect sense

bainsey

Post by bainsey »

hi mate, that sort of distance with an overhead thump is not to bad although im sure it can be improved. have you had the reel since new? have you degreased and re-oiled the bearings? this can make a huge difference to your cast as i found out when i started using multipliers. also have you started trying to progress your casting, the next natural progression would be otg ( off the ground) cast which if you type in on youtube im sure there will be tutorial videos. i do agree with the others though that casts of 50-100 yards are fine as most gulleys and holes are around them distances. but it is an advantage to be able to blast a bait out 130 yards plus when there is a lot of rough water closer in.

cheers
andy

ironman

Post by ironman »

bainsey wrote:hi mate, that sort of distance with an overhead thump is not to bad although im sure it can be improved. have you had the reel since new? have you degreased and re-oiled the bearings? this can make a huge difference to your cast as i found out when i started using multipliers. also have you started trying to progress your casting, the next natural progression would be otg ( off the ground) cast which if you type in on youtube im sure there will be tutorial videos. i do agree with the others though that casts of 50-100 yards are fine as most gulleys and holes are around them distances. but it is an advantage to be able to blast a bait out 130 yards plus when there is a lot of rough water closer in.

cheers
andy
Hi Andy , I got the Mag in Feb and I must admit I was so keen to give it ago I just went and used it , although it is now getting serviced by a dealer who I trust . You hit my problem on the head , I've tried the OTG but I've found I'm pretty shit without actually being shown one to one ( Its akward to try from memory after watching a vid , I tried ) I totally understand about the gully/hole idea as LOADS of people have said the same thing . Maybe your right about me "getting in tune" with my reel first ?
Anyway I really appreciate all the advice I've been given so far , so once again thanks to all
Tight lines
Pete

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

doda is right, have a word with terrry in reel sport, he can sort you with casting lessons.

but to be honest i only cats about 80 - 100 yds as an over head thump, with a fs and my catch is as good (or bad ) as anyone else.

graham

donnylad

Post by donnylad »

ian1965 wrote:Hi.

i always thought a massive cast was the sign of a good beach caster but its not 9 times from 10 you overcast the feeding fish if you cast 70 yrds plus, normaly (loose term) 30 to 40 yrds is more productive, iv fished all over the world and normaly this is the best distance as the bed is churning and that is where they prey.

Ian

Good advise mate,this thread is probably the most asked about on all the fishing forum's,when i first started fishing 40 yrs ago i to thought that big casts would be the only way to get results,untill i fished down spurn one night when i watched a young lad fishing with some of the crudest gear i ever saw, he couldnt have been casting more than 40 yrds, and dyknow what he buried the lot of us, lesson learnt i cocentrated more on fishing and less time on casting and my catch rate doubled,there are times n places when big casting produces more that all depends on knowing your venue......by the way the lad in question was local....nuff said....mick

ironman

Post by ironman »

donnylad wrote:
ian1965 wrote:Hi.

Ian

Good advise mate,this thread is probably the most asked about on all the fishing forum's,when i first started fishing 40 yrs ago i to thought that big casts would be the only way to get results,untill i fished down spurn one night when i watched a young lad fishing with some of the crudest gear i ever saw, he couldnt have been casting more than 40 yrds, and dyknow what he buried the lot of us, lesson learnt i cocentrated more on fishing and less time on casting and my catch rate doubled,there are times n places when big casting produces more that all depends on knowing your venue......by the way the lad in question was local....nuff said....mick
Well a HUGE thanks to all you guys for the very sensible advice....it looks like I'm just a poofisherman then ? or I need to get to grips with my technique ! ! May be that part of my original post still stands though , as I'm not in any clubs I'm just "playing it by ear" when it comes to my terminal tackle , not using the local "knowledge" gained by fishing with others.....hope this makes sense ?

donnylad

Post by donnylad »

Fresh quality bait,in the right venue will produce good catches time after time...make no mistake ;)

ironman

Post by ironman »

donnylad wrote:Fresh quality bait,in the right venue will produce good catches time after time...make no mistake ;)
LOL thanks for that ...........thats been my problem , without some "guidance" from someone why more local knowledge than mine I may as well get my bait and just throw it in as chum ! Without joining a club , how do us "want to learn-ers" learn ?

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

the best way to learn is to go on the beach and watch other fishermen watch how they bait there hooks wat rigs there using watch how they cast tell them your new to fishing and ask questions you will learn how things are done

ironman

Post by ironman »

royboy wrote:the best way to learn is to go on the beach and watch other fishermen watch how they bait there hooks wat rigs there using watch how they cast tell them your new to fishing and ask questions you will learn how things are done
Thats the thing , ive been fishing for 30+ years and when I see other peoples catches I realized that I must be doing something radically wrong !