Spurn point report

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
Devvo
Occasional
Occasional

Spurn point report

Post by Devvo »

set off for spurn to fish it two hrs before and after high tide and decided to fish the very tip and strangely there wasnt a sole in sight ( excuse the fish pun). The weather was not bad apart from it being thick fog which u coudnt see 20 yards in but there was no breeze and it was quite mild. Both me and my dad set up two rods with paternoster rigs and used squid and lugworm. Conditions were perfect until we reeled in to masses of red weed and thats pritty much all we caught...getting quite used to this, 5 blanks :(( and still going strong.

Dev :D

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

keep at it fella it seems to be very quite all over at the moment
steve

kipper68

Post by kipper68 »

point end is best fished at low tide, having said that the last time i went a couple of months ago,all we managed between 4 of us was the same masses of the dreaded red weed, Was thinking about going there again monday but thanks to your report,think we might venture elsewhere, cheers for the insight HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Dont worry m8 im sure you will break your duck. Had my first blank of 2010 the other day. It happens to us all and gets you down sometimes but like i found out you can have a crap session one day and a few days later it can be great. No tide is the same and its something i cant work out.

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

weve had south winds so you dont fish spurn fishing the point at spurn is a gamble now as all the crab pots and nets that are lost in storms are washing in to the deep water channell and are the reason you can loose a lot of gear spurn is a funny spot to fish you want a really big tide in one spot and just a short distance you need a small tide im waiting for a certain tide now we are in to january and i know ill catch cod

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

royboy wrote:weve had south winds so you dont fish spurn fishing the point at spurn is a gamble now as all the crab pots and nets that are lost in storms are washing in to the deep water channell and are the reason you can loose a lot of gear spurn is a funny spot to fish you want a really big tide in one spot and just a short distance you need a small tide im waiting for a certain tide now we are in to january and i know ill catch cod
Loving the optimisim m8, looking forward to your cod report ;)

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

its not optimisim its local knowledge me and sniperone went last year on the tides im on about and we had cod 4 days on the trot i told squidhead to come one day and he had hes first cod of the beach and this year will be the same as all the others i hope i am praying

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Not knocking you m8y, its great to see local knowledge into effect ;)

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

i know you was not knocking me its just every year i wait for these tides they bring the cod in and they usually stay in for a few days one kid fishing further up had a 14lb cod in his club match last year

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Nice cod that m8, humber river is still in my heart as i lived near there for 4 years. Still funny watching a whole tree go past me then go back. And the seals are huge ;)

Devvo
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Devvo »

royboy wrote:weve had south winds so you dont fish spurn fishing the point at spurn is a gamble now as all the crab pots and nets that are lost in storms are washing in to the deep water channell and are the reason you can loose a lot of gear spurn is a funny spot to fish you want a really big tide in one spot and just a short distance you need a small tide im waiting for a certain tide now we are in to january and i know ill catch cod
Hi royboy would be a great help if you let us know when this tide is your waiting for as i think thats the only way im gunna catch summet big without pure luck being on my side!

Dev :D

master

Post by master »

is spurn fishing at all any one know

stores

Spurn Head

Post by stores »

Having just retired and moved to Lincolnshire (from Norfolk) thought I'd better join a sea angling web site to try to get some info on fishing on a coast that I have never been on before. I have been fishing a few times since retirement on the Lincs coast but with negative results. I am not new to fishing and have had my fair share of blanks but the Lincs coast is not for me which is why I am trying to get further afield. I have read with interest the Spurn Head reports and would like to try a few hours on this beach. I would therefore like to pick someone's brains re places to fish along the beach, times to fish ie half water to top, from low water up etc. Bait I'm not too bothered with as I normally fish with mussel/lug/squid/peeler and find that a combination of any of the above will catch fish from Scotland to Plymouth.

Any info/comments would be appreciated

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy »

Hi Stores and a warm welcome to the forum!
In Grimsby myself and I'd recommend Humberston Creek.

Si

stores

Post by stores »

Thanks for the info gynewguy. Will probably use the mark when I can't get over the bridge. Will be at Spurn on Wed next week for a few hours recce with the rod in the car. Thanks again.