Hair rig

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
fozzy9967

Hair rig

Post by fozzy9967 »

Ok I went fishing for a bit of crap over the weekend and had alot of fun and fish. When I was setting my gear up for the first time, I noticed the strange setup called the hair-rig.
After a day of use I noticed that the hair rig was very good for hooking fish in the upper lip. Now here is a question, has anyone tryed using a hair-rig in the sea? If anyone has, did this rig work well or did it have a few faults?

Ok here's a quick pic of my best fish :-)

Thanks anth

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

Tried them last year for freelining bread for mullet. Worked very well as all three takes I had led to secure hookups and landed fish.
Not tried it with anything else yet but could be a good way of fishing limpits.

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle »

You need a bigger net ! ........ and an unhooking mat !

I will be experimenting with the hair rig for beach fishing over the coming months ......... I can't see any reason why it won't work as well for sea fish as it does for carp (although it's supposed to hook in the bottom of the mouth rather than the top lip).

It has previously been used for freelining livebaits etc. in the sea fishing environment but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for worm / crab baits.

Regards,

Dave

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

OK I give up! What is a hair rig pls?

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle »

Basically it's a trace where the bait is threaded on a line attached below the hook rather than on the hook itself. It was devised for fish that suck the bait in (such as carp) and for using hard baits that would otherwise impede the hook point.

I would think it would be paticularly useful to avoid deep hooking flounders etc. but not so good for species such as bass that grab the bait on the move.

Cheers,

Dave

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

Thanks Dave

Frank

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle »

I would post a rig diagram Frank ........... but I don't know how !!

Cheers,

Dave

fozzy9967

Post by fozzy9967 »

Here is a pic of a hair rig.

I didn't expect to catch anything as this was my first time that why a unhooking mat wasn't used and the net I borrowed from a friend.

Tight lines
Fozzy.

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

Thanks Fozzy, I take it that you thread the bait on the line below the hook. How far up do you place the bait? to just below the hook or "alongside" it?

Frank

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

Boxerman wrote:Thanks Fozzy, I take it that you thread the bait on the line below the hook. How far up do you place the bait? to just below the hook or "alongside" it?

Frank
The one shown has quite a long hair-the bait is threaded on a needle with a hook on the end,this is then used to pull the loop through the bait which is then held in place with a "hair stop" (small dumbell shaped piece of plastic) the bait being slid up to the stop. So the bait is clear of the hook,you can vary the length of the hair to place the bait nearer the hook or have a longer hair to cope with bigger/multiple baits if required.Not sure how it would cope with sea baits/hard casting as most carp baits are fairly solid and stay on well. Hope this helps,Cheers,Mick :D :D

fozzy9967

Post by fozzy9967 »

Yeh I just filled that line but I dunno if that is what you are ment to do. I still caught fish tho.

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

fozzy9967 wrote:Yeh I just filled that line but I dunno if that is what you are ment to do. I still caught fish tho.
The main thing is that the hook point remains exposed to aid connecting with the fish. Mick :D :D