Wrasse

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
stu1969

Wrasse

Post by stu1969 »

Before I ask my question, HELLO! I am new on here and new to sea fishing. I never been sea fishing before, although I have coarse fished for 35 years. The closest I have come is using crab lines of the piers.

I would love to try and catch a wrasse. I but don't know where to go or how to go about it. I don't have any sea fishing tackle but have carp rods, would these be ok?
The family and I visit the Yorkshire and Northumberland coast on holiday so can I catch wrasse in these areas?

Cheers

Stu

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

Hey and welcome to the forum.

It's not my area so i don't know about where to fish etc but i have caught 100s of warsse. Its one of the only fish I have caught!!

As far as i know Wrasse tend to arrive inshore around may time and their numbers peak around september I beileve.

Wrasse live in and around rocky areas and amongst kelp beds and in the cracks etc found in the nearby rocks.

Tackle wise i would say your carp rod will be fine for wrasse fishing but i'm no expert.

Rag has always caught wrasse for me and they can be great fun on light gear.

Best of luck.

Greg

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

As Geggy said they like to hang around rocky weedy spots and piers. Such spots can be difficult because it is all to easy to get you terminal tackle trapped, resulting in losses and busted line. They will give a bit of a fight on light gear such as your carp rods but they are not reckoned to be "table fish" so most sea anglers don't bother to particularly target them.
This time of year you would be better off going for bass and other summer species. Can't say what other species you might find on northern coasts but plenty of members will be able to if you head up a post with details of your areas.

mickymad109

Post by mickymad109 »

Amble is supposed to be a good spot , use google maps and enter Amble , morpeth and beadnell a little farther up the coast is another spot , not fished there myself yet but read other reports of some nice ones being caught up that way , good luck m8 hope you get your wrasse , if you have an idea of where your holidaying ill ask around to find any marks in that area .

micky

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A warm welcome to the forums Stu, not my area unfortunately but plenty of help is at hand.

Cheers
keith :D :D

matty123

Post by matty123 »

i have been told that filey brigg is a good spot for wrasse,ive never caught 1 but thats because iv never target them i go for other fish mainly bass if u do try there be careful as u have to climb down the cliff face and can be dangerous on hight tide

Gail

Post by Gail »

Filey Brigg is a low tide spot you can walk to it from the beach.

stu1969

Post by stu1969 »

mickymad109

Post by mickymad109 »

Gail

Post by Gail »

Hi Stu. I'm no expert on Filey Brigg. Tried it a couple of times without much luck but it is very popular and does regularly produce good fish.
I know there is a hole right off the end of the Brigg into deep water but I'm not sure how far. I know it's not a long cast and a rotten bottom rig is a good idea. Might be worth trying spark plugs as weights then it doesn't cost you a fortune.
Google rotten botom rig and you 'll get loads of diagrams.