N/East Coast Sea Fishing Venues

anything North East Coast sea fishing related here
manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

N/East Coast Sea Fishing Venues

Post by manic_muppet » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi everyone, this post is a trial, and if successful may be extended to other relevant forums. The idea is to post only photos and information on the most popular venues, What were trying to avoid is replies asking questions, or chit chat. This way we will have a post concerned only with information useful to everyone, new or old. Thanks for your help in making this work. Having said that, if you have a pic of a popular venue on the N/East coast, feel free to add it, with all the info you have. :D

Pics showing the rocks just in front of the wall, taken from left to right. They are only a real problem at low water, or if you allow your rig to sink in front of them.

Scarborough pier, local facilities include, Tackle shop, 2 cafes, Toilets, car parking at beginning of pier, The entrance to the pier is between the cafe and funfair. At the end of october cars can be parked on the pier, which is a bonus for disabled etc. The whole left hand wall can be fished, but is rocky so difficult for some of us, and the best Cod spot is behind the cafe. The end of the pier is easier, it can be fished from the top of the wall, or the bottom, Best place to cast is straight in front about 50yds there is a channel which can be seen on a good day because the water is calmer. If you look straight ahead on the hill is the Cenotaph, using this as your 12 oclock position, i find most catches are in an arc from 10 oclock to 2 oclock, though the side wall does produce too in front of the harbour gates. The pier with the lighthouse on can be fished end of october after 6 oclock, (so ive been told) (For further Info, PM or post on forum please, Thanks)
Last edited by manic_muppet on Fri May 28, 2010 8:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Whitby pier

Post by manic_muppet » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Top deck of pier, apparently you can fish the last 100yds or so now.

The bottom deck, showing the ladder used to get down.

Whitby pier, I only fished here twice a few years ago, All i know is you fish from the lower deck, (though i have seen people on the top) There seemed to be a lot of weed, and tangled lines is par for the course because it gets so crowded, also casting is a problem. having said that, its supposed to be one of the best venues. There are the usual cafes, parking etc, and a wee walk to the pier. (you can see people fishing on the lower deck)
Last edited by manic_muppet on Fri May 28, 2010 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Flamborough Head, It would take more than 2 pics to show this, suffice to say its cliffs over 200ft in places, very few sandy parts, and very rocky. but there are some good spots, if you care to look, just park up by the lighthouse, and either take the steps to the left down to the beach, or go straight forward behind the lighthouse to find other popular spots, its impossible to describe them as they all look the same. There is a cafe, plus parking and thats about all.
Last edited by manic_muppet on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oddjob

Post by oddjob » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:12 am

FILEY BRIGG
taken from high brigg, about half hour yomp back to the car park but was worth it.. fishes well 2 hours before and 2 hours after low tide, just keep an eye on the tide as its easy to get cut off and it aint the most friendly place in a north easterly!!

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Robin hoods bay

Post by manic_muppet » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:07 am

Robin Hoods Bay.
I dont know much about this as far as fishing goes, but its a lovely place, and famous for its smuggling in the old days. Theres a carpark and cafe at the top of the very steep hill leading down to the beach.
(If anyone can supply any Info about the fishing here, please can you let me know, Thanks.)
Last edited by manic_muppet on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:24 am

Staithes.
This is a nice place, again i dont know much about the fishing, but it can be done from the harbour wall, the second pic shows the boulders being laid to protect the wall, so you know what your up against.
Last edited by manic_muppet on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Bridlington Pier.
This shows the pier on the left hand side of the harbour, and can only be fished October onwards, as its quite busy during the season. There is no shortage of tackle shops in Brid, There are 2 on the right hand pier. There is also parking next to the harbour, by the right hand pier. Its a good place for a family day out, the family can have a day out, while you go fishing. ;)

South pier,
This is the right hand pier, the building on the left is the cafe, just round to the left of them are the tackle shops, use the little one set in the wall for bait etc, if its closed look to the left of it you will see little warehouses set under the walkway with blue doors, go to number 24
The beginning of the pier is popular for bass fishing, the next popular spot is by the red crane, (Halfway down the pier) and of course the very end, because its usually well behind the low water mark.

Pic of pier from the fish quay, the no fishing sign applies from the white mark hidden behind rabbi2 and is to stop people fishing inside the unloading area.

Last edited by manic_muppet on Fri May 28, 2010 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

oddjob

Post by oddjob » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:00 pm

heres a few pictures from sandsend.. i was thinking about going from the top of the cliff but its a bit on the high side.

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 pm

HENDON PROM

Hendon promenade offers easy access fishing, it's possible to literally fish from the boot of the car, making this mark a popular place to fish. Be careful though when the sea is rough and it's high tide, pebbles are often thrown up onto the prom resulting in damage to vehicles.

The promenade is best during or just after a moderate sea in darkness for codling, however it is still possible to catch these fish in daylight with a bit of colour in the water, along with coalfish, whiting, flatfish and the occasional bass.
Good baits to use are rag, lug all manner of shellfish and mackeral which is great for whiting.

The beach is split up into small bays that are seperated by wooden groynes. The beach consists of mainly clean ground so tackle losses should be light, however the first bay at the Northern end does have some mixed ground close in. A lot of local anglers have there favourite bay but all fish very similar. All stages of the tide can fish but the flood tide is the preferred choice.

To get to this mark involves driving along Commercial road in Hendon, Sunderland, assuming you are driving from the South you will pass the gas tanks on your right, around 100yards or so further on, there is right turn follow this road under the rail bridge and directly onto the prom. One word of warning though if it's icy, the small bank that leads down onto the prom can become too slippy to climb back up in your car. This is one of the last places you want to leave your car unattended overnight

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:32 pm

DUNSTANBURGH CASTLE

Dunstanburgh Castle, Northumberland. This can be an excellent mark in the summer, huge shoals of mackeral move in under the point during calm weather in the months of July, August and September. The odd large cod can be caught on peeler crab baits from the kelp close in and are worth targeting. Floatfishing and spinning will catch mainly coalfish with the odd surprise pollack and wrasse. The pollack hotspot is the high inner cliff area where a drop net is needed to lift any good fish.

During the winter a South Easterly sea will bring in the cod especially under the cover of darkness. Dunstanburgh is extremely snaggy unless distance casting so be sure to take plenty of weights! In recent years dogfish, the odd conger eel and ling have been caught, target these in the summer though.

Directions: Park your car in Craster village and walk North to the castle, a twenty minute walk, make sure you close all farm gates behind you. When you finally reach the castle walk through the main gate, turn to the right, walk down the steps, then walk along the castle wall and at the end of the field you will see the point. There is no need to pay the admission fee for the castle if you are fishing just give the National Trust guy a nod and a wink and you will be allowed through.

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 pm

ROKER PIER

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:38 pm

LYNEMOUTH BEACH
Lynemouth beach, Northumberland. A good winter mark for cod and the odd bass. After onshore winds try to get there as soon as the sea becomes fishable again, it is no good in huge breakers or calm seas. Perfect conditions are a nice roll on the sea in darkness, fishing from low to high water.

Use lug and rag tipped with whiteworm or squid. The North end of the beach is best from the Lyneburn [ a small stream around the middle of the beach ] to Boghall

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

FRENCHMANS POINT

Post by medlar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Frenchmans point, South Shields, Tyne and Wear. This mark is hugely underated by a lot of anglers but it can be brilliant given the right circumstances. To catch some nice cod here fish from the cliffs when a large swell is rolling in during the winter. Fish under the cover of darkness from middle to high tide.

Like Steetley pier you must use a strong, long shockleader and large hooks for hauling fish 40ft up the cliff. A word of warning fishing on cliffs in the dark is very dangerous and anglers have been killed in the past, so if you are not experienced or not an adult please do not go here.

Most baits will work and I have even caught cod on a side of mackeral from this mark but if you stick to lugworm and ragworm tipped with shellfish you won't go far wrong. Casting from the point towards South Shields pier or into the middle of the bay you will find the seabed is clean. The place this picture was taken is the top of the cliff from which you fish, looking North.

Directions: Park your car midway along the coast road in South Shields, cross over the large grass field [ the leas] until you find an information plaque on the cliff , this is the point.

--------------------

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Filey Clifftop

Post by manic_muppet » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:24 am

Filey clifftop is quite popular with those that dont mind height's or mountain climbing to get back up the slope to the carpark. These are the views left to right of the clifftop. Its deep water even at low tide and for obvious reasons the lower level of the brigg is only fished at low water, unless you dont mind climbing the escape ladders. (or waiting for the tide to go back out) There are 2 one is about 20yds on the left of this mark, the other is just out of sight on the right side. The lower level is popular for spinning, and float fishing. The ground below water level is the same as the ground you stand on, it goes down in steps. There are kelp beds which offer shelter to various species of fish from, Cod, Pollack, Whiting, Wrasse, Blenny's, Mackerel, etc. The usual popular baits apply here, but crab seems to be the favourite, more so when the cod are in. at the back end of last winter i saw a guy on the cliff to the left of this one hauling a cod around the 4lb mark up the cliff. That cliff is dangerous, its narrow and shouldnt be fished when wet, I personally wont fish it at all, even though its the best spot for cod.

tjgforce

Post by tjgforce » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:23 am

Nice pic of my brother in law up on High Knab, he spent too many hours up there billet bashing haha.