Bait Traps

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

chrisandboys
Occasional
Occasional

Bait Traps

Post by chrisandboys »

Can anyone tell me if the bait traps I've seen advertised on fleabay are any good for catching prawns, baitfish etc. Sound liek a good idea but I've never seen one being used. Thanks!

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

I LOVE THEM!
I put a sandeel, odd bit of mackerel and some squid in varying on what bait I have and get loads in the right conditons. Im sure you get loads if you choose the right place, but I leave mine for hour soak down in the pier in Newhaven. Through winter I got plenty of rockling, quite a few largish prawns/shrimps (can never tell the difference) and the odd pout. I also got a crawfish or whatever, and a couple of crabs. I have a photo of a medium yield on my website on the FISH page if you wanna take a look.

Over in the car park in newhaven I also got a wrasse in the summer. Dont ask what bait it were, I cant remember. They are great fun and keeps my younger friends entertained.

Good Luck :D

dazzaman

Post by dazzaman »

look reasonale to me at just over a fiver,if using from a boat(or pier)do they need to be weighted to get them down?
Do you get a decent length of rope/cord with them or is ot necessary to extend?
Also plastic collapsable or metal?
cheers Darren B-) B-) B-)

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

Ive just got a small metal coil net trap that folds up. The only problem is im getting a few problems with it. Small holes are appearing (i know the idea of a net is to have holes in but you know what I mean) and the zip breaks frequently so I have been forced to sew the zippy bit up with fishing line and just extract my catch from the ends. the bait pocket zip is still intact but not brilliant.

Extra rope is definatly required especially if dropping off a pier. I have a 10m rope on mine and still find it short on some places. And I also have a small 4oz weight in mine to keep it from driftinh in amongst the pier struts.

I havnt seen the metal ones, but im gonna take a look at them now -

Oh by the way, I havnt had any luck with this for a couple of months now... - Maybe its because Im so crap at fihing I cant even catch anythign in a net or theres nothing here... -

Good luck tho

dazzaman

Post by dazzaman »

Cheers,if it needs weighting down,i`d suggest a 4oz weight on either end,tied with light line,as in a rotton bottom,just incase it snags.fastened to the rim not the net,The holes may be caused by crabs or lobsters.
Also if it`s rocky,a touch of swell could cause damage too
Who cares,for a fiver it`s worth a try.May even try it in the river avon for crayfish,any advice on bait?
My late grandad was a trawler skipper in the 60`s and 70`s,he was able to make nets by sewing holes together :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cheers Darren B-) B-) B-)
Thanks about it`s meant to have holes,saved a realy sarcastic reply!!! >:D<