I can't catch anything else..are dogfish worth eating?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

weightloser

I can't catch anything else..are dogfish worth eating?

Post by weightloser »

Literally..are they? :((

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The short answer to your question is yes they are worth eating. Cut up into cubes the size of oxo cubes and deep fried they are very apertising. They are sold as rock salmon when prepared like this. Go to the recipe section on preperation of fish and enjoy. keith

MJB

Post by MJB »

They taste good in a curry.........

.......Then again everything tastes good in a curry.

weightloser

Post by weightloser »

thankyou for the pointers gents!

them doggies better look out now! >:)

mann

Re: I can't catch anything else..are dogfish worth eating?

Post by mann »

weightloser wrote:Literally..are they? :((
:-O a dog is a mans best friend and you want to eat him, :-/
saved me blanking many a time, B-)

weightloser

Post by weightloser »

a dog is a mans best friend and you want to eat him,
saved me blanking many a time, cool
"To fish: perchance to catch : ay, there's the rub!" :-/

thebiga

Post by thebiga »

[in tie-land they say] a dog is not only for christmas but you will have some left over for boxing day lol

weightloser

Post by weightloser »

just found this vid on how to 'do' a doggie (ooerr matron!) :-O :-O :-O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Sqv_v4V4U

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

weightloser wrote:thankyou for the pointers gents!

them doggies better look out now! >:)

guess who's going doggin =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

good luck mate

mann

Re: I can't catch anything else..are dogfish worth eating?

Post by mann »

weightloser

Post by weightloser »

am not technically an expert on dogfish...just sheer lack of expertise!
twas me that put in the link and indeed it ain't a doggie (but in same ball park!) cos it aint got them darn pretty black eyes that blink at you :((
I'm sure I read somewhere that it's one of the few 'fish' that got eyelids to flutter at ya!;;)
I would hazard a guess that many places that sell 'fish n chips' (as against specifying 'cod' n chips) are selling doggie (aka 'rock salmon') and all I can say is that I'v had 'fish' n chips from Caroline Street (aka 'Chip Shop Alley') in Cardiff and given the size of the portion of fish (and it was flaking properly...not that processed minced-up stuff)..it certainly was NOT cod/haddock/hake, etc as it would have cost a damned side more...although what I can honestly say is that it tasted absolutely fine..it tasted of...battered fish! from what I can gather the main reason for throwing 'em back is that they're a bugger to skin!!
Have to admit that to date I have thrown all them black-eyed 'singing' (hissing!) beauties straight back in the water.....!
Somehow don't seem right...but then again..fish=protein!...and I can't afford to just keep on 'feeding' them without some kind of return!
I'll have to get my fishingbuddy to sort 'em out for me...he's a bit more pragmatic (viz bloodthirsty) about such matters! >:)

* Am not exactly sure about whether it's Spurdog or Bull Huss (Greater Spotted Dogfish) that is sold but I wouldn't have though that there would be sufficient numbers to supply on a commercial scale, also the portion/fillet size of them wouldn't be suitable for fillets of the same size as people would reasonably expect given that they think that they're notionally getting a piece of cod/haddock.
** As such I would guess that it's the more prevalant (to the point of nuisance) Lesser Spotted Dogfish that is more likely given the numbers around the South Wales coastline. I've always found the LSD available in Cardiff to be of commendable quality although, of course, not to everyone's palette! :D ;) 8-} :)) 8-} 8-} =)) =)) :-O >:) :-O =)) =)) 8-} I-) I-)

mann

Post by mann »

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

[quote="weightloser"although what I can honestly say is that it tasted absolutely fine..it tasted of...battered fish! from what I can gather the main reason for throwing 'em back is that they're a bugger to skin!!

i was told to cut off the fins the put in not water for a few mins and they will be easier to skin

cheers steve

weightloser

Post by weightloser »

I seem to have angered the pagan 'fish gods' by my talk of eating doggies..for now there are none to be found...DOH! :-O :-O :-O :(( :(( :((

weightloser

Post by weightloser »

right en...
skinning doggie - skin super tough, gutted without much problem.
Tried making slits in skin near head and standing on head to remove skin with pliers. Head came off.:-O
Headless torso still trying to wind itself around my hand..zombie fish!!! :-O :-O :-O
Tried from tail end, rolling pliers so that skin wound round it like the key when you're opening a tin of corned beef. Still took some doing.
At home, meat came off spine fairly easily, no side bones, only cartilege spine.
Cut into cubes, tossed in seasoned flour and fried in butter.
Extremely mild in flavour and mushy texture contrary to what I was expecting (in other words it was..err..'carp' ;) )
..then again my culinery skills ain't so good to say the least...=))
that said, managed to do a flattie the other day in flour n butter that was very tasty indeed and had normal flakey texture... =P~
Overall I'd say not really worth the effort..maybe ok for fishcakes but given the effort required you're probably better off buying them if you so desperately need fishcakes in your life!
Maybe I'll try one more but am not anticipating a fantastic outcome of this experiment/endeavour!
Said I'd give it a go though!!! :D