recommended rig for dogfish

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH » Sun May 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Mattyguk1 - If you rephrase your question to "What rig would you use if your life depended on catching doggies?" Then you would have had a serious response of some of the forum members.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Sun May 04, 2008 6:08 pm

As said previously, any fish is better than nowt, my personal pet hate is flatties, I dont know why, but i always feel its just been a practice run if i catch flatties.

waverider14
Regular
Regular

Post by waverider14 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi there i agree with whats been said their really not fussy at all but unlike a lot of people i quite like catching them
Get yourself to the famous Magi lane mate you'll get them there day and night old smelly mackerel they love it!!! Good luck mate :)

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev » Sun May 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Sometimes you just gotta concentrate on dog's to get your score up. By default, colleagues and I all use the same for these occasions:

Size 1 Grauvell circle hook, choose the rig style to suit your casting distance. Say it's a three-hook rig anyway.

Take one thick fillet of mackerel, cut on the diagonal into five equal-size pieces. Pierce a piece once only with the hook so the barb protrudes, leaving the body of the chunk of bait hanging down: don't bother threading it through because once you start catching, you'll be busy rebaiting, and it impedes the action of the hook. We don't bother elasticking them on either, unless it's a single hook rig clipped for distance

Cast and wait: you've got a puddle of very large baits there, you need to leave the oil trail from the mackerel to do its work. Sometimes you won't see a dogfish bite, they sort of go to sleep on it instead. I wouldn't leave it for more than fifteen minutes first cast.

If you don't catch first go, rebait with fresh on all three hooks and cast as accurately as you can to where you were before, accentuate that scent trail, give those who were homing in something to work on. The next bit depends on your bottle, how badly you need those first fish.

Observe the rattle of a bite, leave it 30 seconds. If it continues to rattle, just lift the rod and wind into it six turns or so, then engage spool release and just drop the lot, so it drifts as near as possible to where it was originally. You now have a fish hooked in the scissors of the jaw, so it's going nowhere (hence circle hooks), but it will be getting annoyed which attracts its mates because they rightly think it has found what they were all sniffing for anyway. Now have a smoke, or count how long you think smokers spend doing it.

Now retrieve. If you ain't got a double shot this go, repeat all the above and you will have. If not, they just ain't there.

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH » Sun May 04, 2008 8:17 pm

Madkev no the score

dizzy
Regular
Regular

Post by dizzy » Sun May 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Anything with a hook m8.

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman » Sun May 04, 2008 9:46 pm

it seems that certain people would rather blank than catch doggies which baffles me as i would rather be catching dogs on a cold wet windy day than spending 4-8 hrs shivering catching nowt but thats me

rag
Occasional
Occasional

Post by rag » Wed May 07, 2008 6:07 am

dont worry matty, i've never caught one before either and wouldn't mind catching one, i think they look a cool fish, with me it's all about fun not species. :D :D AD

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam » Sat May 10, 2008 9:46 am

dogfish are mant to go oryt with chips :D