Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

leader knots

Post by shannock » Sat May 03, 2008 11:05 am

hi guys n gals

i usualy use the uni knot for tying my 60 lb leader to 15lb mainline on reading the fox guide to sea fishing i have seen a
bimini twist leader knot
i am going to give this a go as it looks stronger and not to hard to tie just wondered your thoughts on this knot and what one do you prefer cheers all

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:08 am

I have taught myself only 3 knots, have learnt to tie them in the dark and stuck to them. I am now in the secure knowledge that they wont let me down. keith

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper » Sat May 03, 2008 12:39 pm

its a complicated knot to tie especially in the dark. i'd just stick to your usual knot unless or going big game fishing where you need a stronger knot.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev » Sun May 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Tested in one of the glossy mags a few years ago, the Bimini acts as a shock absorber and can give the effect of a higher breaking strain knot than the others.

You gotta tie it right, first time, every time though, so it's not for everyone especially if you are under pressure. Why not tie it on at home, see how you go, and if you need another leader when you're out revert to a knot you are more confident with

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

knots???

Post by essexkenny » Sat May 10, 2008 8:40 am

another knot worth trying for a leader is a spider hitch i think :-/

Basically double over about six inches of your reel line and then make a loop (the same way you would tie a loop in a length of rope) in it....... take the end through the loop five times wet it a pull tight.
Then tie your leader into the loop using an albright knot.
Not all that difficult to tie, at home when replacing line on reels or on the beach.
Ive always found this ok and has never let me down, whereas a half hitch and grinner combination has. But, i where i fish the bottom is really soft and sometimes have a hell of a job getting rigs back!! :D

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam » Sat May 10, 2008 9:47 am

yehh i have the same book and it looks pretty hard to tie and you dont want to be doin it on a cold mornin :D