fishing lamps

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

fishing lamps

Post by shannock »

coming back to sea fishing after 25yrs i need a new lamp so i can fish in the dark years ago it was a anchor lamp or tilley lamp anchor was the brightest but what about now ? what do you use ? any advice i have a lcd headlamp but need something to light the rods and surrounding area thanks all

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The choice is so wide nowadays what with rechargeable batteries ect, I must admit I dont do an awful lot of night fishing perhaps the reglar night fishermen would be able to advise on particular models, cheers keith

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper »

i use a coleman northstar lantern for when i'm going for a long night session they are dual fuel and electric ignition. i find them bright enough for what i want. but if i'm only going for a couple of hours i just take my LED headlamp.

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

agree with trooper but thing with northstars are you goto take the electric starter out before you fill with unleaded or it will crack the starter learnt the hard way but headlight is fine .
Gary

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper »

gazza76 wrote:agree with trooper but thing with northstars are you goto take the electric starter out before you fill with unleaded or it will crack the starter learnt the hard way but headlight is fine .
Gary
I've not had a problem like that (yet). but i'll start taking the starter out before i fill up from now on to be on the save side. cheers gazza

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

trooper wrote:
gazza76 wrote:agree with trooper but thing with northstars are you goto take the electric starter out before you fill with unleaded or it will crack the starter learnt the hard way but headlight is fine .
Gary
I've not had a problem like that (yet). but i'll start taking the starter out before i fill up from now on to be on the save side. cheers gazza
my friend fills his up without taken the starter out mate and his northstar is fine might of had a weak starter but the main reason you take the starter out is if you was filling up and accidentally pressed the clicked which sends a spark and your using petrol umm aint a nice combination lol.
Gary

paastyman

re sea fishing lamps

Post by paastyman »

hi their the brightest lamp is the hipolito 500cp they last for about 8hrs on a full tank and they run on parafin .maidstone angling used to sell them they last for years and mine is still going well

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

thanks all i have a coleman stove i use for camping and they are brill i was looking at the coleman lamps and i think that would be best along with my led not lcd headlight

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

obviously depending on where and what you are fishing for producing aload of light is not always a good thing for catching , ive got a headlamp but also a windup led lamp that after 30secs of cranking the handle gives me about 10mins of light whiich is enough to tie a rig or bait up.

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

jim79 wrote:obviously depending on where and what you are fishing for producing aload of light is not always a good thing for catching , ive got a headlamp but also a windup led lamp that after 30secs of cranking the handle gives me about 10mins of light whiich is enough to tie a rig or bait up.
me to mate i got the MFA 3 in 1 headlamp (not the rubbish 2-1) and also the cheap windup led lamp as a back up

bill-bao

Post by bill-bao »

Don't go for a big bright light, it's SO annoying to those of us who like to fish with minimal light.
I use a Coleman battery lamp for baiting up, and a low power headlight for reeling in.

AH
Regular
Regular

Re: fishing lamps

Post by AH »

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

thing is most fueled lamps can be dimmed down as well and the headlight is very useful as well , if you got reflective tape on your rod tip you can see it from the light from the lamp even on dim but the headlight give you that extra light for baiting up and as AH said bringing your line in watching the fish in the surf and even walking to the location id say buy both and and like another member said if its a short fishing trip for few hours then the headlight will do if longer take both.
Gary

bill-bao

Post by bill-bao »

Quote :The beam is about half as bright as a car headlight :unquote

That's what I mean! When you look around the beach, you dazzle other anglers who want to keep their night vision. We don't all want a ruddy searchlight scorching around everywhere.
They are an absolute pain. Why on earth would you need a beam like a car headlight? You aren't travelling at 60mph are you?
I just don't understand blokes who are so frightened of the dark, they have to illuminate a 100 square yard area around them, and they usually have a yapping dog too!

MJB

Post by MJB »

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.