Someone to modify/extend a rod

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

kirk

Someone to modify/extend a rod

Post by kirk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:51 am

Hope General is the correct place for this as I cannot see a rod building section.

I want a travel rod to take abroad.
Bags I have are limited to 24ins max. I do not want to put a rod and travel tube through separately.
I will get round to enquiring of Greys/Conoflex about modifing a 13ft blank by cutting into 22 ins sections. :((
Cheaper alternative may be to get the Daiwa Wilderness Travel Spin and adding a 24 ins section to it. All the sections of it seem to be 24 ins.

Does anyone know anyone who could produce a 24 ins section to add to the rod.

I know I will alter characteristics of whatever I start out with and god knows what else but there all travel rods tend to be multi-section but not are not made to fit inside bags/cases.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:58 am

Give Anglers Den in Darwen, Lancashire a ring tell him what you require he may be able to help his name is Harry and his number is 01254 706 713. Tell him keith in blackburn gave you his number. Hope this helps.

Let me know how you get on.

kirk

Post by kirk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks, I will give them a call next week.
I have found that many of the people advertising as rod builders run away. Seems many decorate rods but stop at that. Would like to learn have to make the joints up myself. :P

As it will need a additional section I suspect that it should match up with the specification of whatever is there. Hoping that the matching may not be too critical for the butt section. :-S

Just hope I get the phone number right as I am close to Chelmsford and that STD code is 01245. Bound to get it wrong at least once. :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:14 am

Good hunting mate. keith

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev » Sat May 03, 2008 5:42 am

Conoflex took back my uptider and built a new spigot into it so it could go on my motorbike. Tenner plus postage there and back. V professional job too, can't tell it's not designed like that from the outset.

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:49 am

interesting post , being a biker aswell i to have the problem of not being able to carry my rods on the bike , ive always wonderd wether there was rods avaliable in very short sections as i hate telescopics with a passion,

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:55 am

Your not the only one to avoid tele rods. Have you had a look at the shakespear travel rods? I can recommend them I have two, one boat and one beachcaster. (kept in the boot at all times).

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev » Sun May 04, 2008 9:20 pm

If I knew how to make high-quality joints, then I'd be getting my blanks from the factory and building custom rods from max 4'0" sections. With beach shelters folding to 4' as well, nobody need ever have a great bundle of kit running from the back of the car to the dashboard any more.

As a kid in the 70's, all the guys round our way had single-piece beach casters lashed to the roof of their cars. 'Tank aerials', actually made by the makers of tank aerials.

In the 80's and 90's, two-piece became common but odd sizes (makers using one butt for a couple of models).

In the 21st century, apart from cost there's no reason why multiple's shouldn't be more widespread, materials technology has advanced so far now.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:27 pm

As a kid in the 60s I remember combo rods, beachcaster, pier, spinning and boat rod all combined! You try getting one now. No chance as they are making far too much money selling seoerates. Keith

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev » Sun May 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Still got one I won as a child in 1971:

12' coarse float rod
10' coarse ledgering rod
8' pier rod
6' boat road (about 150lb class I guess, not many tuna in the Solent)
9' fly rod

all this from just two handles and god knows how many bits of fibreglass. Mind you, I caught fish but they're sh1te rods.