The Moon effects on fishing

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

aircooledadams

The Moon effects on fishing

Post by aircooledadams »

I was just wondering which is better for sea angling, full moon, no moon or somewhere inbetween?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

As you know the moon controls the tides because of gravatational pull so the nearer the moon is to the earth the bigger the tide and therefor the greater the depth of water to fish in. hope this helps.

aircooledadams

Post by aircooledadams »

Thanks, that's what I thought, but also wondered if a moonlit night was any better or worse than a much darker night, like thick cloud cover, or no moon at all.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

For what its worth and its only my personal opinion is that moonlight or nights completely in darkness does not have any effect on your fishing. Your catch rate may improve in the moonlight with you spotting bites that much more easily.

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

depends if you wish with a werewolf or not :D :D :D
ihave always prefered tofish with a full monn on a clear night it adds the magical touch to the whole experience and im sure for some species of fish who hunt by sight in shallow water bass mackeral etc it must help a bit

MJB

Post by MJB »

Without a shadow of a doubt, new moon springs will fish better.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Hi MJB was I right saying that it was deeper water?

MJB

Post by MJB »

Spring tides occur around the new and full moons. Spring tides are those with the biggest range, i.e. high highs and low lows. The tides around the new moon are usually slightly bigger than those around a full moon, although there are other influences like wind, barometric pressure and sea state.

Neap tides occur around the half moon and have the smallest range.

The full moon is a double edged sword when it comes to sight feeders. Yes they can see their prey easier, but conversely their prey can see them too. That's why I prefer a new moon tide, as fish like Bass, Mackerel and Scad are very much geared up to seeing in poor light. You also remember that from a fishes point of view they are always looking up at a lighter background even when there's no moonlight.

waverider14
Regular
Regular

Post by waverider14 »

Hello there i noticed that the barmetric pressure makes a difference to fishing can someone shed some light on which is better low or high? thanks

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Sorry that one really has got me stumped.

MJB

Post by MJB »

waverider14 wrote:Hello there i noticed that the barmetric pressure makes a difference to fishing can someone shed some light on which is better low or high? thanks
Now we're just looking for reasons not to go fishing. :D

I know trout respond to a falling barometer, but to be honest the biggest effect on the fishing has to be the weather conditions associated with pressure systems. High pressure = settled weather, Low pressure = unsettled weather.

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

not a clue , but don't the high and low pressure affect the temperature , jay try google it see what it says.
Gary

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

i go fishing whatever if fishing was just about catching a nice fish i would never have started up again sure it would be nice to catch a fish and take it home every time but that would be a dream i go to relax and be at one with the wild outdoors to battle against the elements to meet new and interesting people and learn more about myself sounds a bit hippyish {missed out on that unfortunately } but im sure most of you know what i mean love peace n all that t ya