GROUND BAIT MIX

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

span5488

GROUND BAIT MIX

Post by span5488 »

Hi looking ideas on ground bait , so what do you use and have anyone tried the pva bags or mesh carp men use.

jh1tf1

Post by jh1tf1 »

mackeral, mashed up with a bit of bread, maybe add some fish oil and herring pellets. Mesh bags pegged down on the low tide mark can work but you gotta be able to cast to it consistantly!Or use a swim feeder, theres a couple of other topics on here along this line, have a look at the spodding topic.

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopic-7053-0.html
This is the link to the spodding post mentioned.
It lists a few ways of getting groundbait out and what people use.
I have tried pva, it does work but on a strong tide it gets washed away quickly.
:((
http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopicp-45049-.html#45049
This link is for a similar question to yours.
B-)
Hope all this helps
B-)

span5488

N

Post by span5488 »

CHEERS LADS A GOOD READ THANK YOU/

MJB

Post by MJB »

Put mackerel, bread or bran and fish oil in a liquidiser. Pour the resulting 'slurry' into a 4 pint plastic milk bottle and freeze. When you want to use it just punch a load of holes in the side of the bottle and put it in the water where you want it. By freezing it, it lasts longer, releasing more scent as it defrosts.

Nemesis_SLR
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nemesis_SLR »

I admit that i bought a seabag groundbait mix ready made and i have to say that it actually works! just drop it over the side of a pier, rocks and as jh1tf1 said stake it out on the beach at low tide. i really didnt expect it to work but it did!

leeman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by leeman »

Hi Nemesis,

Be interested to know what difference it made?

cheers

lee

span5488

J

Post by span5488 »

Have to say its the lazybag ground bait got me thinking about my own mix in the first place it is the price off the stuff just. Thats why iam looking a home made one.

was on a local mark were a mate used the sinking lazybag and i took a lovely bass 4 and half pound. and the best i have ever had on the mark were small flatties.

so i purchased a bag for myself and tried again and the amount off mullet it brought in was unreal took 4 in that session so think there something to it.

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

what about from beach???????

Post by essexkenny »

has anyone tried using a groundbait from the beach at all, and aswell as mackerel and fish oil etc, has it ever worked for anyone using rag and lug for their groundbait mix and letting it go 'off' to the pooint when it stinks????? :-/

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopicp-45049-.html#45049

Check out the link above It answers the question and gives a few other angles.

Try the onion sack method weight it down at low tide then cast to the float at high tide to catch the fish.

Never tried rotted rag or lug I usually freeze or salt mine.
Salted worm might work as it takes a while to rehydrate.
B-)

thebiga

Post by thebiga »

what about now i am not sure of the spelling i think they call it a rubby dubby bag filled with chopped up dead fish with added bread and fish oil
and stuff like that do you think that might work over the side of a pier or rocks

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Another thing we used to `bulk up' our rubby dubby was cooked rice and then froze it into cannonballs to put in the onion sack.It worked very well and we caught lots of bream `ready stuffed' with rice !

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

i have tried catapaulting bits of squid near to a breakwater i was fishing up against i was on the right of it and the tide was running to the right ( so i was sheltered by the tide )
i caught 4 nice flatties but would i have caught them if i hadn't done that who knows
if you feel more confident with the groundbait go for it

my glass is always half empty

good luck
cheers steve