Breaking strain... (And other questions)

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Davejj

Breaking strain... (And other questions)

Post by Davejj »

Hi All,

I am looking to try my hand at beach casting and maybe some fishing off the rocks when I go on holiday to Anglesey in June.

As this will be my first time sea fishing I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.

I am looking to maybe use my carp rods, but I am also looking out for some sea rods, but what breaking strain line should I be using as a guide.

Also is there a certain type of line I should be looking out for.

Also any views on frozen or vaccum packed baits? are they worth it or should I wait to buy something fresh locally when I am there.

Thanks in advance for any help, I am sure I will think of more questions in the coming weeks :)

Dave
Last edited by Davejj on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper »

If your gonna be using a carp rod i'd use a mail line of around 10lb braking strain (definitly no more than 15lb)

hussy

Post by hussy »

I use 20lb for all my fishing except lure fishing. I add 60lb shockleader onto the end of my mainline. The general rule for shock leader is 10lb to 1oz weight... so 5oz lead would have 50lb shock. that way you can keep your main line strain at a fairly low diameter. However you are using a carp rod so i recomened going alittle lower.

hope this helps :D

Davejj

Post by Davejj »

Thanks Guys, I really dont want to use my carp rods if I can help it, I would like to get myself a couple of rods and reels for the job, if I can afford it before the holiday, One for myself and one for my son.

So its good to know what I should be using on beach casting gear. The carp rods are back up if money is tight.

Thanks for the advice so far....

Dave

LittleAlfie

Post by LittleAlfie »

In my experience there are lots of Wrasse living amongst the rocks in Anglesey and the first thing the little sods do after taking the bait is head down into the rocks for cover. This can lose you a lot of expensive lead weights so go down to your local garage and stock up on used spark plugs instead.

Alfie

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Why not get some S/H gear to start with - you obviously know what a rod in good nick is supposed to look like and a hunt round coastal towns this time of year often shows up some half decent gear at rock bottom prices - I guess you already know which makes to look for. Don't buy S/H reels though unless you are sure they are in good nick because you won't know how the previous owner treated them. Bear in mind that sea angling is a lot harder on gear than the muddy puddle stuff which is why most folk use 18 - 20 lb BS line and 12 to 14 ft rods which are rated to cast at least 4 ozs of lead. You need a "65 to 80" size reel which will hold at least 200 yds of .40 mm diameter line.

Davejj

Post by Davejj »

I live in mid essex so a trip to costal towns is not something I can do often, but I am looking out on Ebay and the online tackle shops, the more I am looking the more I am getting an idea of which makes to look for.

I am at that stage of not wanting to get something to cheap in case I enjoy this sort of fishing and want to go more often, but I also cant go mad and get anything to expensive, so I guess second hand is the way to go, unless of course tackle shops hire out gear???

But all your advice is helping and giving me ideas so thanks all.

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper »

I know there are some shops at entrances of some pier's and harbour wall's which rent out tackle to people like the one at bridlington does (or used to). But you can only use the tackle on the piers or wall where you hire them from.

Davejj

Post by Davejj »

Yeah I guess thinking about it in todays world to be able to hire gear you would have to pay to much deposit to be able to take gear away, so buying is going to be the way to go.

I bet going back a few years people could have been trusted to hire and return gear, not so today.

I have a few months yet so im sure when I know what im looking for something will turn up.
One thing I think im noticing is that some rods are set up for a certain style of reel. What should I be looking for?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

If the bottom ring is large then you can use a multipler or a fixed spool, but if thr bottom ring is small then you can only use a muliplier this is becuase of the way the line comes of a fixed spool and on a rod with a small bottom ring the line is prone to wrap aroun it thus causing either the line to snap or a broken ring.

Seaspray
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Seaspray »

Davejj

Post by Davejj »

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper »

Just to let you know, they do fishing gear at ARGOS. i just found this on the online shop. It might be what you are looking for.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... eenets.htm

I know it's cheap and i don't know if it will be any good for what you are looking after buying.