Any other wheelchair users?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels »

Hi folks
I am curious to find out if there are any other wheelchair users that go sea angling. The reason I ask is that we might be able to help each other or possibly someone else.
I have been a full time wheelchair user since a spinal cord injury 8 years ago but I enjoy sea fishing with my son who is 11 years old.
If there are anymore wheelchair users out there, get in touch and we can maybe share experiences or tips.

Thanks
Reels :D

baird

Post by baird »

I read an article in the Telegraph a week or 2 ago about a wheelchair bound coarse angler who is organising a network of disabled and able-bodied anglers. The idea is that disabled anglers can fish together and able-bodied anglers can find people to fish with and/or provide transport if necessary. The chap was a coarse fisherman but it sounded like a national network which may include sea-anglers. It should be on the Telegraph website. Hope that helps.

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels »

Hi Baird

Thanks for the response. I think the guy you are talking about has this website: http://disabledangler.wordpress.com/
I have looked at it and replied to a post that was on it regarding sea fishing but nothing came back from the original post.
I just thought that there must be other people out there who are either sea angling or would like to try it, but then again maybe not.

Cheers
Reels

soleman

Re: Any other wheelchair users?

Post by soleman »

Reels_on_wheels wrote:Hi Baird

Thanks for the response. I think the guy you are talking about has this website: http://disabledangler.wordpress.com/
I have looked at it and replied to a post that was on it regarding sea fishing but nothing came back from the original post.
I just thought that there must be other people out there who are either sea angling or would like to try it, but then again maybe not.

Cheers
Reels
Hi Reels
I'm sure there are guys on here that could help out that live up your way, even if its just sorting out some accessable marks for wheelchair users.

If you ever come down south let us know I'd be more than happy to help.

Goodluck Reels I hope you do manage to find someone that can help out.

Bread

Post by Bread »

I did see a section on WSF for disabled marks. If you go there and do a search you may find some more information.

The disabled marks section on this site is something that I've been petitioning for a while now and it will happen - it's just that the past few weeks have been really busy for me and Mrix (who owns this site) so nothingh got done unfortunately.

I also would like to expand a little on this and include a section for areas that are suitable for children to fish also - i.e. with safe areas of beaches, piers with good facilities such as toilets etc etc.

If you have any specifics on what you would like to see, please post back on this thread and I'll try and help you out.

I have a son who is disabled and I can appreciate where you are coming from.

ANDYT63

Post by ANDYT63 »

Excellent suggestions bread ! That would be good to see >:D<

Not only for children or disabled but nice for anyone to know about easy access/parking and toilets or nearby coffee shops or kebab shops :D
Even if we just include a bit of exta info in our reports would be helpfull.

By the way Reels_on_wheels - A very good handle matey :D

Bread

Post by Bread »

I also know a lot of people with asthma, cancer and other chronic illnesses who can't walk far and for them it would be a real benefit to fish other venues that they otherwise may never have known about.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Good marks

Post by rabbi2 »

For the disabled I can think of a least 2 marks that I use although it involves a bit of traveling for me and that is whitehaven and holyhead at holyhead you can take your car right down to where you want to fish and at whitehaven you can get pretty close. Shelter at both is pretty close and both have a fair depth of water. Hope this helps