Which way up?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

simmel

Which way up?

Post by simmel »

I have done a lot of boat fishing in the past with multiplier reels and boat rods, and have always used the reels in an upside down position (reel on top). But I must admit I have never seen anyone using these reels for general purpose fishing use (beach, shore, harbour etc) can they be used in place of a fixed spool reel or not, If not why?

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Which way up?

Post by MadKev »

It's only in the past few years that fixed spool reels have come on well ins ea angling, as makers corrosion-proof them better. There's about a fifty-fifty split on their popularity with multipliers now, and many won't swap what they've become comfortable with.

A large, boat-designed multiplier might not be good for shore use - they tend to have heavy metal spools, too difficult to balance for casting and too much inertia for braking. Medium, '7000' sized multipliers are good for heavy rock or beach work, and those used for distance casting come from a design originally intended for lure spinning. Conversely, plenty of boat competitors are using fixed-spool now, and the continentals favour FS for uptiding and light-line work.

Personally, I favour my multipliers of all classes, but still have a couple of fixed-spools for particular tasks. Does this help? MK

simmel

Post by simmel »

" Does this help? MK"

Yes thanks, but I would still like to know if the multipliers can be used in the conventional way ie. reel under rod?

simmel.

Edgey

Post by Edgey »

simmel wrote:" Does this help? MK"

Yes thanks, but I would still like to know if the multipliers can be used in the conventional way ie. reel under rod?

simmel.
I don't know why, but no they don't. They work better on the top of the rod, both for casting and reeling in.

H

MJB

Post by MJB »

Multipliers are used 'on top' of the rod for two reasons:

1: You can't grip the spool for casting with you're thumb if it's underneath.

2: You would need to wind the reel backwards to retrieve line.

Rods for multiplier use will have more rings of a smaller diameter than one with rings for fixed spool use.

simmel

Post by simmel »

Well that settles that then!!!!! :)

simmel.

blakdog

Post by blakdog »

simmel, The word conventional was very relevant - reel on top is the conventional way to use a multiplier ie how their designed to be used.

Incidentially, I used to have a mate who would use a fixed spool "on top" as he had learned to fish using a multiplier. Really strange to watch and even stranger to try out, but it worked for him :lol:

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

'conventional' multiplier

Post by MadKev »

If you are determined to use one underneath the rod, buy a left-hand wind one which can then be inverted and used by winding anti-clockwise with your right hand. You will still need it atop the rod for casting though. MK