a couple of questions bait needles / multiplier

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

booboo

a couple of questions bait needles / multiplier

Post by booboo »

been looking at bait needles and found stainless and brass ones are these for different baits ?

proberly been asked loads of times
:roll:
thinking about getting a multiplier having never really used one any advice as to things i should look for
or some models that will suit the beginner

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Bait needles

Post by MadKev »

No, the metal ain't important mate. Tread careful, you might be looking at those used for coarse fishing, which generally have a handle that you can use a lot of force to push through a hard bait.
Sea angler's bait needles are just straight wires with a ferrule at one end and a point at the other. Thread the point inot a worms' mouth, all the way through the body then stick the hook in the ferrule. Then slide the worm onto the hook.
Multipliers are a website in their own right - find someone who can set you up first time, then make just one change at a time to the setup. MK

Limey1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Limey1 »

I can only really comment on stainless steel bait needles....
I use them all of the time and find they are a boon...
I have an allergy that when using lug worm, brings me out in itches... :cry:

Stainless steel are much stronger than brass ones and the secret to using them for worm, is to make sure that once you have the hook in the end of the needle, that you kep your line taut....
it does take a bit of practice but I'm sure you'll overcome it.

phildalt
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phildalt »

ive got an allergy too it, lug makes my hands turn yellow then black when i try to clean them!! weird! he he he

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv »

Booboo

Nice to have met you on the beach at St Osyth today- my advice would be to get the best beach multiplier you can afford- one of the Penn 525 range, Abu Mag Elite, Sports mag or Daiwa 7HT Turbo are very good. They are going to cost you but I reckon its a false economy getting a cheapo multi- with multipliers you generally get what you pay for so if you buy a cheap and cheerful multiplier for £30 on the basis that it's good for beginners chances are you'll bin it and never use multipliers again. The odd thing is the top end models are probably better for beginners than the cheaper end as they offer more control - thats speaking from experience as a novice.

Stuartdv

booboo

Post by booboo »

i am with you on the cost thing stuart if i get one will be looking at spending £100 + if i go with a new one have seen a penn supermag 525 for around £120 but reading all the spec etc might aswell be reading chinese :?

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv »

Booboo

I have two supermags and enjoy using them- plenty of control and good retrieve- plus they're robust enough to use from rocks etc if thats your cup of tea.

They're my personal fabourite though I also like using the Abu mage Elite (green one) but I'm not sure that reel would stand up to heavier ground fishing.

Others might be able to advise.

Bread

Post by Bread »

Hi BooBoo,

If your fishing over rough ground, you may want to go for the Penn as it is a bit more suited than the ABUs. On the SuperMag XTRA you can also adjust the handle for two positions, one for fast retrieve and the other for extra leverage for rough ground.

stufish
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stufish »

Hi, Booboo. Welcome to the site.
Regarding bait needles, somehave a sharp point, ideal for rag,crab, sandeels etc. Some others have a more rounded end specifically to avoid puncturing lug.

Stu

booboo

Post by booboo »

cheers guys
had noticed the 2 different tip shapes on the neddles now i know why :)
where abouts are you in braintree stu
maybe we could meet up for a day on the beach

stufish
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stufish »

You have a pm.

Stu