Float size...

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Richard Huggett

Float size...

Post by Richard Huggett » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm planning a spot of float fishing around the IOW coast, but I'm wondering...are these huge floats that you buy in tackle shops really needed? I've a couple like the one in the attached picture...bloody great things they are, 5" long. I've also a couple of 3" ones...do I really need them that big?

Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (180.04 KiB) Viewed 377 times

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

Re: Float size...

Post by mrix » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:51 am

You certainly dont need to use Large floats especially when fishing close in, I used both the large and the medium style of float you are using over the summer months and the smaller medium version was ideal ::g
I do however sometimes simply like using the large floats as they are so stable in the water and visually easier to see especially if fishing at distance B-)
mrix

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Float size...

Post by eccles » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Well I have always used the big floats with yellow tops quite simply because if they move away in the current you can still see them at up to 50 yds or more. After all, one is not fishing for minnows in the sea is one? A mate and I were using them a few years back when suddenly his float disappeared and he was in.... to a six pound sea trout no less.