Getting ready for the Summer

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Getting ready for the Summer

Post by rabbi2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Just getting ready for better weather, sorting out all my fishing gear servicing reels and putting new line on all of them. Looking for a new floatation suit as I want to replace my old one. Who else is getting prepared for the better weather? or am slow of the mark?
Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:43 am

Haven't started yet but guess I should as it's only 3 weeks to the start of plaice returning down here. Promised to make make myself two or three really posh plaice rigs this year but we will need a few days of calm sunny weather to get them in shore of which there is no sign at present LOL,

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:14 am

Plaice seem to arrive a lot earlier down there as compared to us lot up here in the North West. Explain you posh flattie rigs mate as I fancy having a bash at something new. Cheers keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:32 am

Important bit is plenty of bling mate because it seems that they have good eyesight and get curious about anything they see which is coloured and mobile. I make up wishbone rigs with size 2 long shanked hooks and with several coloured beads and shiny sequins on the snoods. The colours are important too - mixture of green and black beads on the snoods being most favoured. Guess this may be because their favourite foods are pea mussels which will be black with other colours mixed in. It doesn't seem to matter which worms you use, although small rag are commonly used, I know a bloke who had three decent sized plaice one sunny morning down here using only lug. What is essential is gin clear calm water and sunshine - probably because they can see your rig much better in such conditions.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up Eccles my mate, I will give it a try but the only prob is that when I use the wishbone rig I end up with a terrible tangle. LOL
Cheers

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Know what you mean but the answer is not to have the snoods too long and make them out of fairly stiff line - like 30 lb mono. The fish don't care as long as they can see a bit of bling and smell worm when they get close up, they will go for it irrespective of how long the snoods are. I think a lot of folk make their snoods too long and I never do (don't want tangles). Even with my standard two hook paternoster, I keep the snoods at no more than 20cms and have one above the other but at sufficient distance on the main line such that they can't tangle. After all, the only time one really needs a "long flowing trace" as they say is when one is live baiting with sand eel or small pout which only do on my occasional trips out in the solent with a skipper.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Cheers for that mate, will make some up over the weekend.
Keith :D :D

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 pm

yep iam looking at tying some plaice rigs,like eccles,short snoods on the wishbone rig and green /black beads with bling.i tend to fish early morning with hw between 12-2pm.so I fish the first of the flood ,early morning .6ish.
2 reasons,first ,its the best time of the day and less people on beach.second,i believe plaice feed better with less push of a tide,my personal view only.also on the first of the flood,i can use another rig .the de-vice,which I can head hook a few rag on a flowing trace.i take the grippers off the d-vice.had more plaice using these tactics than fishing the normal 2hrs before and 2hrs after hw.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Trouble is then when I am targeting Plaice I invariably end up with big bags of dab and flounder which I always return as I am not keen on eating either of these species.
Cheers

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Agree with you about the flounder rab but love fresh dabs - just grilled quickly with squirt of soy sauce on top.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:55 am

The only trouble with dabs is that by the time you have filleted them,there's bugger all let Lol
Cheers keith :D :D