Bass shoals could collapse

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Bass shoals could collapse

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:49 am

Latest scientific observations suggest bass are in greater peril than we thought. Think twice before you keep one.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... vationists

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 pm

Amazing that in just three or four years bass stocks should fall to such an extent if that is true. In my own experience, it was not difficult to take a few sizable bass off the south coast beaches up to 2012 but there have been far fewer since then. It can only be commercial over-fishing if it is true and not the efforts of a few hundred beach anglers off the south coast.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:57 pm

eccles wrote:Amazing that in just three or four years bass stocks should fall to such an extent if that is true. In my own experience, it was not difficult to take a few sizable bass off the south coast beaches up to 2012 but there have been far fewer since then. It can only be commercial over-fishing if it is true and not the efforts of a few hundred beach anglers off the south coast.
Absolutely correct Eccles, the effect of recreational anglers on bass stocks is miniscule. It is a shame that the restrictions applied to commercial fishermen are not as onerous, pro rata, as those applied to us anglers (max. 3 fish per angler, min. size 42cm). Our fishing club (predominately boat fishing) has a club rule restricting bass catches for our competitions to be no smaller than 45 cm.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:53 pm

Judgegeoff wrote:
Absolutely correct Eccles, the effect of recreational anglers on bass stocks is miniscule. It is a shame that the restrictions applied to commercial fishermen are not as onerous, pro rata, as those applied to us anglers (max. 3 fish per angler, min. size 42cm). Our fishing club (predominately boat fishing) has a club rule restricting bass catches for our competitions to be no smaller than 45 cm.
Unfortunately this is not true. Anglers are estimated to take between 1/3 and 1/2 of commercial catches (see 2012 report DEFRA). This sounds a lot, but if you do the calculations, based on numbers of anglers, this equates to keeping about 1.5kg of fish per angler per year. So it mounts up. (This was before the 3-fish limit came in. No limit on cod yet, and they're pretty rare from the shore now too.)

The majority will be caught by boats - not many sizeable bass from the shore now. Anglers are going to have to learn to restrict themselves to preserve stocks. Commercials need curtailing too, but we have to do our bit. Now I am inclined only to keep fish of 42 cm and return any big ones. This is academic in my case; I've caught only one sizeable bass in the last 5 years.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:43 pm

DEFRA's estimate eh? Well I take that with a pinch of salt. I fished Hayling as you know regularly from 2004 until now. Up to around 2012 I also caught a number of largish bass every year but from that year onward my catch began to dwindle significantly. Would that be because the number of anglers suddenly increased significantly or would it be because the numbers taken by commercials (both netting and trawling) significantly increased? My bet would be on the latter argument. We do know for example that the amount of netting going on around the IOW has increased significantly in recent years.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:47 pm

It's based on a survey of anglers - attracted a fair bit of publicity at the time. I think it's been a gradual decline, the affect if which suddenly becomes apparent - one bad spawning year, that sort of thing. But it's true the commercials take the biggest share, and I imagine that will grow, notwithstanding the odd angler who knocks 14 on the head (report on wsf a while ago).