Pier fishing

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

davcon4005

Pier fishing

Post by davcon4005 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. The question I am about to ask may cause a lot of differing opinions, I ask that you do not criticise anybody's reply as I would like as much diversity as possible.

I will respect all answers and draw my own conclusions from the feedback given. Thank you all for keeping this post open and without any arguments.

Well here goes.. I am using a 7' boat rod with a LN 70 FD for pier fishing and would like to know if I could use a bait runner carp reel with 18lb line. The reason I ask is that when Carp fishing I find that setting the bait runner actually helps me when playing the fish.

All replies will be really helpful to me, so as I have said, Please don't criticise others, just leave your comment.

THANK YOU ALL.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:11 pm

My own personal opinion is that your line could be reduced down to 10lb if you so wanted to as with a 7ft boat rod you certainly won't be casting so presumably you will be placing your bait close to the pier stanchions which is fine as most fish feed close to pier supports, all too often have I seen people casting miles out from the side of the pier only to fish in roughly the same depth of water as near the pier. It's OK casting from the end of the pier so as to fish deeper water. The only reservation I have playing a fish so close in as to end up with your end tackle lost by tangling with the pier supports. Also you will certainly have to winch the fish up the pier so a tight clutch is called for.

Fish for pleasure and not to suit others and don't be afraid to fish your way. I myself use a carp rod with a 3oz gripper weight for close in work.
Best of luck
Keith
:D :D

davcon4005

Post by davcon4005 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Many thanks Keith. Your comment is very welcome. I had thought about using my carp rod with 12lb line.

Your comment is appreciated.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:12 am

Using a carp rod off the pier is OK and will give you casting distance if needed unless you have conger knocking about, then you might need something a bit beefier.

Ever wondered when on piers or harbour walls why some young uns pull in more fish than us even on a handline which you seldom see nowadays? Well it's down to where the fish are feeding. Even if the fish are on the small size they seem to be kept busy.
Cheers
keith :D :D

davcon4005

Post by davcon4005 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:30 am

Thanks again Keith. You comments are just what I need. Thank You.. B-)

I am off to Whitby Scarborough and surrounding areas for a few days this week. I an taking boat rod Beach caster and I think I might give the Carp rod a try out, spare spool is loaded with 15lb, I will let you know how things go..

Regards
Dave

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:20 am

Would be interested to know how you do with the carp rod as the bite indication should be great for those flatties and whiting.
Cheers
keith :D :D

AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

Post by AndyH » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:43 pm

If you are fishing from a pier or break water and there are Bass around, it might an idea to invest in drop net, so that you don't put too much strain on the rod and reel.
Cheers Andyh

davcon4005

Post by davcon4005 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:19 pm

AndyH

Cheers mate, I invested in a drop net, it has not had a lot of use lol but when needed it was a great help.

jackdaniels

Post by jackdaniels » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Personally if I had to use a boat rod pier fishing I would use a multiplier reel with it for winching up fish. Plus if your new to sea fishing its a good way of slowly getting used to a multiplier reel, then possibly learning to cast it greater distances in the future if decide to use it for beachcasting

How you getting on?