It works!

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

It works!

Post by eccles » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:35 am

Having messed around with chemical lights on the rod tip for years I was recently asked by a novice if there was any kind of bite alarm which avoided getting neck ache by staring up into the sky for hours on end. Brother (a carp man) arrived the next day from night session so I asked him and he showed me his device which involves detecting line movement through a sort of pulley device. "Well that ain't gonna work for sea fishing." I retorted "where one has to cope with waves, weed, etc." He understood but had no other solution so I decided to do some further research on the 'net. Eventually I discover this website:- http://www.seabite.com/ and although the gizmo offered is a sight more expensive than the average chemical light or clip on bells. I decided to make the investment. Last night I tried it for the first time and I have to report that I am very impressed and will now order another for my other rod. It detects even little trembly bites and beeps and flashes and thus one no longer has to worry about missed bites while preoccupied with baiting up the other rod or pouring a coffee from the flask. I highly recommend this people and just bound the holding clip onto my rod tip with ordinary cellotape "permanently" because the device itself just slides off when not required BUT does not come off when casting btw.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:49 am

Cheers for the link Eccles mate, looks impressive at first glance, but don't fancy the cost of replacement batteries. Just wondering if those various sized watch batteries sold on a card in most pond shops would fit the alarm. Perhaps you could check it out and get back to us.
Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:07 am

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Cheers for your prompt reply, I may just order a couple, my mate can buy his own lol
Cheers

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 pm

this device detects rod motion.fine on calm nites,and on neap tides,as we are having at the moment.how do you think they would work with a tide running and a bit of weed or a windy session..at 15 quid a pop dont think i will be buying any.can see how they would be good for fishing harbours for flounders though.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Well actually Mick you are wrong my friend, the device "ignores" rod movements caused by waves and only goes off when the rod tip is jerked - even a small jerk, e.g. a small bass which took the bait last week set it off beeping and the beep is loud enough even for an old geezer like me who is getting a bit mutt & jeff.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Will it detect a sole bite which is more akin to a pull than a tremble? Time will tell- be interesting to see the results.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 am

Interesting question that lmh, as I am targetting sole next week. My own experience with sole is that the bite often starts off with a couple of "trembles" - I just sit and wait for a few minutes, followed by a distinct tug which tells me that mr sole has finally hooked himself and I can reel in. I see no reason at present as to why both of these movements should not be picked up by the alarm. Met a guy the other day who also uses Seabites and he advised that they can sometimes fail after two or three seasons. I asked him if he had attempted to keep the little battery terminals clean as that is the obvious possibility of failure in a marine environment. No he had not it seems but will do in future after my suggestion.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Perhaps I need to add a further note folks from my own experience of the past few weeks: It is important that the batteries are in good condition for the alarm to work well. This is not a big issue because one can buy them on ebay for about 10p each and they seem to be good for at least a couple of dozen sessions. However, I met a gent the other day who had been using the alarms but retorted that they stopped working after a while. I asked him if he had tried new batteries and incredibly he said "Well no, didn't know you had too." Obviously his knowledge of small batteries was not that wonderful!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Bet his name wasn't "TORCHY", don't know if you remember the series on TV Torchy the Battery Boy lol
Cheers