decline in sea fish

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

jackdaniels

decline in sea fish

Post by jackdaniels » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi guys, Im aware there will be a lot of people that remember the old days of catching loads of fish 30 or 40 or possibly even 50 years ago but I am curious how much the uk coast has changed in the last 10 years?

I did a lot sea fishing 10 years ago and have recently got right back into it and I know the tackle and equipment has improved, but how are the catch rates?

Is anything being done to improve our fish stocks? And has there been any difference in the last 10 years.

I guess what im asking is am I wasting my time sea fishing now days?

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Throughout the years there has always been a big debate on this subject. One that will continue for many years to come. Always worth returning to sea fishing and using local knowledge to your advantage to locate the species you desire. Many helpful fisherman in these forums that will help you in your chosen area. Only way to see is go and wet a line ;)

jackdaniels

Post by jackdaniels » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:42 pm

flattiefanatic wrote:Throughout the years there has always been a big debate on this subject. One that will continue for many years to come. Always worth returning to sea fishing and using local knowledge to your advantage to locate the species you desire. Many helpful fisherman in these forums that will help you in your chosen area. Only way to see is go and wet a line ;)
Hello thanks for my reply. iv done a lot of fishing the last 10 years but mainly for carp and catfish and I enjoy it but its just not quite the same as the feeling I got growing up fishing off southend pier or Yarmouth north beach.

I wont give up, and will hit the beach soon :)

Iv just bought 2 penn affinity 8000 reels and loaded them with whiplash braid, 1 16ft penn affinity twin tip rod and a penn powerstix pro. I needed to update my gear and hope iv made some good choices.

Be honest it would be nice to even catch some dabs and whiting!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:00 pm

You could even put your carp rods into service for Flattie bashing ( good bite detection).
Cheers
keith :D :D

jackdaniels

Post by jackdaniels » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:21 pm

rabbi2 wrote:You could even put your carp rods into service for Flattie bashing ( good bite detection).
Cheers
Thats a good idea Keith, could you give me any advice with tackle and technique? Thanks

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Small fine wire hooks about size 1 or 1/0s long shanked to facilitate easy hook removal. Let the bite develop as flatties normally suck at the bait before taking it properly, don't strike just a steady wind in. Wishbone rig works well also a few beads 2" above the hook to act as an attracter.
Cheers

jackdaniels

Post by jackdaniels » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:53 pm

rabbi2 wrote:Small fine wire hooks about size 1 or 1/0s long shanked to facilitate easy hook removal. Let the bite develop as flatties normally suck at the bait before taking it properly, don't strike just a steady wind in. Wishbone rig works well also a few beads 2" above the hook to act as an attracter.
Cheers
Thanks Keith, im guessing you use a 2 or 3 oz leads? Does it hold the bottom ok? I guess if I use 20lb braid that will help.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:12 am

I tend to use 3 to 4oz breakaway with a gentle lob rather than a full blown cast with 10 to 12lb mono.
Don't forget that mussel is a killer bait for flatties and is far cheaper than lug although you do have to use bait elastic to hold it on.
Cheers

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 am

There's no debate over the decline of sea fish. The decline is obvious to anyone who has been sea fishing for many years. Even for someone like me who has only been sea fishing a few years, things are clearly getting worse.

Constraints on commercial fishing, conservation zones, etc are intended to help but so far there does not seem to be any improvement, at least to fishing from the shore. But even boat fishing means long sails out to grounds that still have a few fish.

Look at the lack of catch reports on here and other sites. There is not a lot being caught. Quite a few blanks though.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:58 am

I will agree that the numbers of fish caught nowadays does not compare of years gone by, but look at the number who have taken up the sport, piers/ jetties/ breakwaters are normally jammed packed with folk fishing. possibly the same number are being caught but divided among more anglers

Some good fish can still be had here in the N/W. The forums are not really an indication of fish caught as a lot of members just can't be bothered posting.
As for boat fishing take a look at this caught recently

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Min ... 60?fref=ts

I have a trip booked on the same boat next week and will post the results with pics.

Cheers

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Unless people are less bothered than before, the low post rate implies bad fishing. Some places are busy, though not often busy with catching. Fish surveys show low stocks - just last year down here.

Sure, boats will come back with fish. I used to go out in boats often. Sometimes we had a decent day; but often we didn't catch that many.

Off the shore it is a disaster where I fish. The fish are just not there. Last time I was out there was only one angler where there would have been several when a few fish were about just a few years ago.

Glad to hear there a still a few around up your way Keith. Down south things are looking grim at the moment.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:42 pm

I can sympathize with you, when I spent a fortnight down there with DCM we fished the Thames and Medway and I never had a bite and I took penty of quality lug with me. I hope things buck up for you down your area. Plenty coming out from the N/W (most undesized but good sport).
Cheers

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 pm

i think also where the sport is slow,when anglers are catching they are delaying their reports ,if any .so they can benifit.ive heard of some good hound sport my way ,but there is no reports of it on any forum sites,unless you are in the know.
not what forums like this were set up for but thats how it gos now.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:45 am

Got to admit posts are few and far between, although after saying that many a time I click on who's online button and find quite a few members are still viewing the forums apart from the 20+ guests that are always there.

Like you said a lot just can't be bothered.
So long as there are the dedicated few who are prepared to help others, the site will flourish and pick up again

I can remember when I first joined the were about 6 regulars who helped me tremendously as regards venues etc, and the banter that was flying about was something else. Ah for the good old days for us old folk ;) ;)
Cheers

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:18 am

still around, just dont get to go out fishing more than once a month. but i look at the forumn every couple of days.

thanks
phil