breakaway leads hazard

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

komet

breakaway leads hazard

Post by komet » Sat May 31, 2014 10:00 pm

i metal detect beaches. i have found many breakaway leads that have been lost. some are near the surface with their wires sticking above the surface. not good to tread on with paws or bare feet. would it be safer to bend the ends so they have a rounded end?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:51 am

Bending the ends would defeat the purpose for which it was designed for and that is for it to break free of any object as it would act more like a grappling iron by bending the wires. I can see your point though, and yes they can be quite dangerous but where do you draw the line? Each to his own hobby, you with your metal detecting and myself and others to our fishing. By the way if it is a big problem in your area you should make a fortune selling the weights back to us >:) >:) >:) :D :D
Cheers
keith :D :D

komet

Post by komet » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55 pm

thanks for your thoughts. i fish as well, it never occurred to me the hazard they can be. just thought there might be a way to make them a little safer. i generally give the good weights to anyone i see fishing. the damaged ones go for scrap. helps pay for fuel and battery's.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:57 pm

You are actually doing a very good job my friend. Sadly there are anglers around who do not know how to tie good knots or use the right strength of line in order to avoid losing their sinkers of the kind you refer to. There are others who rather foolishly go fishing in stormy conditions or when there is a lot of weed in the water; they also lose their sinkers.