barbed or barbless that is the question?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

barbed or barbless that is the question?

Post by smallfry » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:51 pm

as the title says does fishing with barbless hooks make a difference to catch rates? :-/ :-/ i know as catch and release they are the way forward. its just that last vtime i went out most of the flatties were deep hooked i removed the hook through the gills and they all swam off fit and well :D :D but i was wondering if barbless hooks are easier to remove?
cheers ian. :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 am

Definitely easier to remove but is there a risk of losing a decent size fish? Personally I go "halfway" these days in that I use "micro-barb" hooks or I crush the barbs to some extent with a pair of radio pliers.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 am

With regards to flounders they are known for sucking the hook down anyway. Use the circle hooks for better chance of not deep hooking. I would stick with barbless anyway for easy removal. If you keep in contact with the fish at all times you have less chance of losing it ;)

You can crush the barb on this hook but for worm baits i would leave it on ;)

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm

i thought barbed hooks went out with the dinosaurs!
personally i always use barbless hooks for easy removal and by hooking the worm over the eye and knot they stay on easier and dont slip down the hook lengh.

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:55 pm

watching some of the fishing shows on tv i think circle hooks maybe the way forward as they tend to hook the fish in the lip most of the time i hope this helps
cheers
sean.

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:38 pm

thanks for your replies it has given me alot of help. i'll crush the barbs on my " normal " hooks and invest in some circle hooks next time i'm stocking up. sorry for the late thanks dont get out or on here very often due to work and home commitments .
thanks again ian