KITE FISHING FROM THE BEACH

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

bob54

KITE FISHING FROM THE BEACH

Post by bob54 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 am

hi guys,,,have set myself up using a kite for,,,putting gear out to 5-6 hundred yards no problem,,the distance is unlimited i have two mile of line on my reel drum,,mainly as backing but its there,,,not had fishless day yet,,,anyone intrested contact me bob54,,,,live in BRIDLINGTON i am willing to help or give advice on what is required to set up,,,and ways to fish with a kite,,,a kite canbe fished 60dg off wind so even if wind is not of land it is still okImage[/img]ImageImageImage
Last edited by bob54 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Interesting concept especially for distance work ;)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Alright, I'm up for it but if yer catches one of these 'ere kites, are they good eating which is all my mrs is interested in.

bob54

Post by bob54 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:17 pm

eccles wrote:Alright, I'm up for it but if yer catches one of these 'ere kites, are they good eating which is all my mrs is interested in.
ha ha great didn't think of it that way will have to re word ,,,but they do put up good scrap !!!!!!!! ha ha,,like it

bob54

Post by bob54 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 pm

flattiefanatic wrote:Interesting concept especially for distance work ;)
its perfect for those flat beaches around skeggy

Sea_panda

Interesting

Post by Sea_panda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Sounds interesting.. My other hobby is kite bugging, so no problem with a using a kite.

How do you release the rig I wonder ?

bob54

Re: Interesting

Post by bob54 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Sea_panda wrote:Sounds interesting.. My other hobby is kite bugging, so no problem with a using a kite.

How do you release the rig I wonder ?
hi there are two ways of using the rig,,,,the one i use is a long line type with 15 hooks,,,but you can despend with the terminal gear ,,attache your lead to the floatation ie bottle half full with water,,,by way of an elastic band around the bottle and holding your lead to your rod,,just leave real open let out your kite and when you reach the end of your line on your reel,,,just give it a good pull releasing your lead from the bottle ,,bring back in your bottle leaving the kite still flying ready for next trip out its that easy

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Kite flying meets fish catching. But as the set up makes plain, this is long-lining, not angling. And I think we are mainly anglers here, the rod and line kind. Still, one way round one's casting limitations.

bob54

Post by bob54 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Kite flying meets fish catching. But as the set up makes plain, this is long-lining, not angling. And I think we are mainly anglers here, the rod and line kind. Still, one way round one's casting limitations.
yes i agree,,but it is realy nice when you see those fish coming ashore through the surf,,,,,i do use the rod system depends on the type of beach an location,,,,,every one to there own,,,its just a different way of fishing,,,not new as it is used exstensivly in new zealnd and australia,,,so why not here?? if it puts a fry on the table great

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:54 am

Dont think I could be bothered with all the aggro of doing this but 10/10 for ingenuity - and fair play for doing it.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Would a small balloon achieve a similar thing especially on a receeding tide and an ofshore wind?
Cheers
keith :D :D

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 pm

I've seen someone using a balloon to get out - seemed a lot of hard work - i just enjoy trying (often without success) to whack it out and keeping my fingers crossed

bob54

Post by bob54 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:43 pm

rabbi2 wrote:Would a small balloon achieve a similar thing especially on a receeding tide and an ofshore wind?
Cheers
keith :D :D
hi kieth,,my friend tied two small ballons to his rod but had problem being washed back by surf,,but,,he did succed in the end fishing with approx 20ft of line from lead to ballon,just guessed the depth,,,we didnt have any realise clips,,,,i have since made some from clothes pegs,didn't catch but it did work,,,the easy thing with the kite,,,it stays flying all the time you only retrieve main line,,so yes it does take longer ,,but thinking of the distance out you are fishing anywhere 5-6 hundred yds and beyond,,so yes to reel in takes longer,,but the drum reel recovers 2ft to every turn,,its not bad,,, just gets heavy with fish on i am changing over to braided because of the tension the nylon as it sretches,, puts on the drum,,,have just purchased new drum reel geared 3-1,,to speed up retrieval,,,so will see,,,,for rod fishing,, you can use the kite way,,but without the long line just the bottle,, to take your rod terminal gear to sea ,,just secure your lead by way of an elastic band to the bottle,,when out required distance just give good pull ,,and band breaks allowing gear to fish,,, there will always be people who are against change but give it a go,,,it WILL put fish in your frezzer,,,bob

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:36 am

I don't think it's a question of people being against change. Although I wouldn't say I'm against fishermen trying this approach, which does at least attract my curiosity, it is not rod and line angling, and therefore is not something I would really want to try.

Another point is that sea fishing, for most of us, is not primarily about getting fish to eat (a pretty time-consuming and expensive way to do so). If it were, perhaps we would get a small boat, lay a long line out for a tide, then pull it in. Or lay a small net. But it's not fishing as we understand and practise (the question of licences aside). There is also the question in these conservation-minded days of whether anglers should employ longlines at all, which the kite method appears to rely on.

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:42 am

Each to their own... I find it a curiousity and inventive but not my cup of tea. Like others whacking out a lead and then sitting back waiting for the tip of my rod to bend over is what its all about. I rarely take a fish home (the odd bass is about the only time I do) as I prefer catch and release. But for me fishing with a rod is the only thing that can relax me and make me switch off completely from work. (Although as I'm about to be made redundent that arguement shortly ceases).