Casting again

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Casting again

Post by eccles » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Took my younger brother fishing today after around 20 years for him. Well more like a casting session really because he is just beginning to get into our sport again and certainly had never cast "properly" before. So I got him started on the "off the ground" technique which is what John Holden recommends. He made most of the mistakes - feet wrong, arms too low, not looking up, etc., but realised that he would not achieve the 100+ yards which I demonstrated unless he got it right. "I'm just gonna overhead thump!" he retorted at one point but immediately cast at least 40 yds short of where I was getting to and had to agree that he must spend another hour or so on the otg but his arms were starting to ache which might ruin his golf sesh tomorrow.
So why am I scribbling this little story? Well folks if you don't already have a decent casting technique, I am trying to encourage you to learn one because believe you me, it can make a big difference to your fishing achievments if you do and it only took me an hour or two of practice to learn the airialised otg casting which I now do most of the time. (Occasionally I do a simple form of pendulum as per Alan Yates but that is just a modified version of what I already do.)

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi eccles

So what technique would you recomend a complete novice like myself?

Thanks
Phil

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Do like the man (John Holden) says, have look on utube or put John Holden casting in your search box. You will hear of or maybe even see some pendulum casting but don't try it until you are well used to the simpler styles.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:37 pm

totally agree with rich there.perfect the simples first then progress.
rich ,ive started using the yates cast and feel comfident in it adjust to your own abilities.now casting 150yrds.saying that ive caught more fish within the 100yrd bracket.
cast as far as you can if required.
a gentle lob on a dark nite could end up as a good nite
mick[/u]

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Of course Mick is right, I don't bother with long casting after dark because the fish come in anyway around most of the Solent but being able to long cast can pay dividends during the day and when one needs to reach a particular feature.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Just another note on this subject: Having said to myself and others in the past that I can't be bothered with pendulum at my age, because my airialised otg cast gets me out 100 odd yards when I want, I recently changed my mind:
Set about seriously studying the cast and listening more carefully to what some of the advocates say on utube. I have finally realised that John Holden suggesting a relaxed and easy approach when one is learning, i.e., don't bother to try and thrash it miles when you first begin to practice because the important bit is to get the timing right. It's only at the very final stage that you need to put in any power anyway. So off I go to the beach and make sure that the back swing (with at least a 6ft drop) has got to head height or even a bit higher before starting to swing my body round. Then I went quite gently round towards the water, with the rod tip following of course and arms held fairly high before delivering the cast in the normal manner.
Even with this "easy,easy" approach, the 125 gramme sinker I was using went well over 80 yds - just try it folks and you will see what I mean or come to Hayling and join in a practice session with me in the next few weeks and let's see how far we can get!

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:47 pm

see ,you can teach a old angler new tricks. :D
i fish with a lot of guys at chesil who enter casting comps.just watching them casting baited rigs using pendulum cast with little effort should be enougth to make me try it out.
mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:23 am

At my age I'm happy to fish in the wet bit, just beyond the dry bit. lol :D >:)
Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:51 am

I know you are right Keith but sometimes one does need to cast a bit further in order to reach a particular feature. E.g. there is a wreck at Chesil but to reach it requires a good long cast.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:15 am

Well yeah, done it/tried it meself but really it's just a simply modified overhead thump and does not get you out as far as an otg and certainly not as far as a pendulum. Worse still, it's no good with a clipped down rig because everything tends to come unclipped directly you lay the sinker on the beach.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:21 pm

The Brighton cast looks little different to John Holden's easy cast. After trying all sorts of swing casts, part-mastering them then somehow losing the technique, I tend to cast OTG now, even with clipped rigs. The best thing about this method is I can keep the rod butt high easily, important for long casts. And the cast goes straight.

Sooner or later I'll go back on the field to get to grips with swing casts again.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:11 pm

After looking at the Utube link. I was impressed at the compression that he achieved, unless he was using a soft rod which I don't think is the case.
Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:13 am

Managed close to 150yds last evening (125 grammes, fixed spool reel, no bait), woo hoo! I have now realised (which is not explained on any website that I have seen) that the reason why pendulum works so well is that the rod is compressed (bent) by the sinker when the latter abruptly changes direction at the end of the recovery from the head height back swing. Hope you see what I mean folks, let's see if I can expand on this:
1. The first swing is away from the sea (and you).
2. The next swing is back towards you and finishes around head height or a little above over your right shoulder (then you begin to turn your body round toward the sea) as the sinker travels back away from the sea again.
3. As the sinker will approaches the end of this travel, the rod tip will be starting to follow your forward motion towards the sea and THIS IS THE POINT at which travel of the sinker compresses (bends) the rod backward with some force if you got the timing right. You then go on to complete the cast.
You are not putting muscle into any of this until the final sea-ward flick and you don't need too because the sinker is doing it for you. That is why it looks so effortless when done right.
Hope this helps folks, I might practice a bit more today if there are not too many grockles on the beach.
Who the Dickens is Pinkie-Brown ?