Rod rest?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Rod rest?

Post by wannacatch1 »

Need to buy a new rod rest has anybody got the salt rest and shelter combo,Just wondering if they are very stable and how comfortable is it when looking up from under the rest?

DAZ B-)

ian1965

Post by ian1965 »

I'v got the combination, tripod very sturdy (best i'v ever had) shelter works but sitting directly under your rods looking up is a bit uncomfy, if i was to buy again i would not bother with shelter, again tripod great.

Ian

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

ian1965 wrote:I'v got the combination, tripod very sturdy (best i'v ever had) shelter works but sitting directly under your rods looking up is a bit uncomfy, if i was to buy again i would not bother with shelter, again tripod great.

Ian

Cheers Ian think I will go for just the rest and carry on with my pop up tent.

DAZ :D

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

if you fish close to the car the salt tripod is great, if you fish marks that are a good trek away then it is noticably heavy. its very sturdy in windy conditions and on rocks but the weight is still a big issue with it for me. ive bought an ian golds tripod and if ive any bit of a trek i bring that. its a bit more expensive but worth it, theres also a few copies around that are cheaper but just as good as the goldsie.

as for the shelter for the salt, just search google images for it and look at the poor bloke sitting in it with the awkward smile on his face, imagine sitting like that for 4 hours, they should come with a neck brace thrown in for free :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

You may not be interested but although I have a tripod I almost always use beach spikes. Ideally you want a 5 ft job as they are better than the shorter ones which one often sees. I have to say that of course they are no good if you are fishing from hard surfaces but I find them more stable and of course much lighter to carry than tripods. I also have to confess that I carry a garden trowel with me just in case I have difficulty in driving he spike in. Mine are the Ian Golds type which are quite well designed but I know that Veals also do them.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

I have a diawa rest at the mo and that is a bit of a weight to carry from one mark to the next so would be looking at a light weight when purchasing a new one.

DAZ

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

i use a ian golds 6ft rest ,light and has only gone over in extreme conditions..
mick.