Rechargeable Batteries

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rechargeable Batteries

Post by rabbi2 »

For those of you who like to record your catches on film or on a digital camera I thought I would let you know that there are rechargeable AA batteries on the market at a whopping 2,900mh. I obtained mine at Dayshop.com. and they come in a re-useable plasic container so no more loose batteries in you pocket. They also make a fast charger that you can use from the mains, USB or car cig lighter.
Cheers
keith :D :D
Last edited by rabbi2 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

That's pretty amazing Keith and a good tip. I did some research on this earlier in the year because I use rechargeables in my LED headlamps and my camera. I found a website that has tested quite a range of them and Energizers seemed to be top of the heap so I bought their 2450 mAh jobs which were the most capacious at the time. Think I will now have another look though.......
Just done some more research and it seems that some manufacturers now produce hybrid LSD batteries which stands for Low Self Discharge. Some of us know that rechargeables will slowly discharge if left in storage for any length of time which can be a pain if you suddenly want to rush off for a session. However, it seems that these LSD batteries will stay almost fully charged for months (up to 85% after a whole year). There are it seems three makes which really stand out: Sanyo Eneloop, E8GE 1000 and Ultralast HYBRIO.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Point worth noting is that they also do AAA rechargeable battries I found their site through Amazon.
Cheers keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Grimreaper

Post by Grimreaper »

deal extreme do some good offers on rechargables as well
ive had so good gear off them with no problems

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

say that again

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

eccles wrote:say that again

LMAO rich , very good :))

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

eccles wrote:That's pretty amazing Keith and a good tip. I did some research on this earlier in the year because I use rechargeables in my LED headlamps and my camera. I found a website that has tested quite a range of them and Energizers seemed to be top of the heap so I bought their 2450 mAh jobs which were the most capacious at the time. Think I will now have another look though.......
Just done some more research and it seems that some manufacturers now produce hybrid LSD batteries which stands for Low Self Discharge. Some of us know that rechargeables will slowly discharge if left in storage for any length of time which can be a pain if you suddenly want to rush off for a session. However, it seems that these LSD batteries will stay almost fully charged for months (up to 85% after a whole year). There are it seems three makes which really stand out: Sanyo Eneloop, E8GE 1000 and Ultralast HYBRIO.
Do you know what materials go into these batteries? I ask because I know from my Radio control experience with NiCad batteries that constant recharging without fully discharging or better,"cycling" about every fifth charge can build up a "memory effect" which leads to a loss in capacity over time.If these batteries can be charged without this happening I would be interested to try them in my aircraft knowing that after a period of time they still hold their charge well. Cheers,Mick :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I am no expert but I was under the impression that NiCad batteries were on their way out and that most manufacturers were now concentrating on Nickel Metal Hydride production as they are significantly better than the old NiCad stuff. The "other" metal in NiMH batteries is apparently a specially prepared alloy of Titanium, Cobalt and other metals including a few pinches of rare earths. Sounds a lot less poisonous than Cadmium anyway.

jonthecourier

Rechargeable Batteries

Post by jonthecourier »

Hi to All. Surely you mean 7dayshop.com they are a great firm I have used them for many years, they also sell the best cheap inkjet Cartridges that I know of and they always work very well. regards john

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

eccles wrote:I am no expert but I was under the impression that NiCad batteries were on their way out and that most manufacturers were now concentrating on Nickel Metal Hydride production as they are significantly better than the old NiCad stuff. The "other" metal in NiMH batteries is apparently a specially prepared alloy of Titanium, Cobalt and other metals including a few pinches of rare earths. Sounds a lot less poisonous than Cadmium anyway.
I agree about the Cadmium content of older batteries being an environmental problem from the point of view of disposal and contamination,also the NiMH batteries that I tend to have as replacement packs can be fast charged with no ill effects,something that NiCads would not do.This is a help on the flying field as I can now fast charge away from base and not have to wait for 12-15 hours for a pack to reach full capacity.I also use a small number of Lithium-polymer(LiPo)packs but am a bit cautious of these as incorrect charging can lead to fires or even explosions!
Going back to the batteries that hold their charge well,do you know if they are available with solder tags on so as to link them into multi-cell packs?
Cheers for any info,Mick :D :D :D [/u]

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

conga wrote: Going back to the batteries that hold their charge well,do you know if they are available with solder tags on so as to link them into multi-cell packs?
No, suggest you have a look around Amazon, ebay or RS Components web sites. Just had my Sanyo Eneloops AAA's delivered, the pack claims 1500 recharges and a minimum delivery of 750 mAh which is incredible (a lifetime perhaps?, certainly at least 10 years with my usage). Would have thought it's worth a try at home with a 60 watt pencil soldering iron and a bit of 5 amp copper wire.

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

eccles wrote:
conga wrote: Going back to the batteries that hold their charge well,do you know if they are available with solder tags on so as to link them into multi-cell packs?
No, suggest you have a look around Amazon, ebay or RS Components web sites. Just had my Sanyo Eneloops AAA's delivered, the pack claims 1500 recharges and a minimum delivery of 750 mAh which is incredible (a lifetime perhaps?, certainly at least 10 years with my usage). Would have thought it's worth a try at home with a 60 watt pencil soldering iron and a bit of 5 amp copper wire.
Thanks for reply Eccles,will do a bit of searching to see if I can get them with tags on.
Cheers m8, :D :D :D