Forceps recommendations?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Forceps recommendations?

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Just realised my forceps are no longer in my tackle box, presumably rusting away on some beach somewhere. So I need some new ones.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair? I had the 6 inch Mustad before, which I was not that keen on.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi ikagp
in my opinioun to get good ones they need to be of medical quality .have a look on ebay under medical instramebts
cheers steve

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

N, make sure they are not too big. Those with long handles which one often sees in tackle shops can also be awkward to use. Can't recall where I got mine now but the handles are only about 2 - 3 inches long and much easier to use than the long handled variety.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I prefer to use large long nosed pliers especially for the doggies
cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I can understand that Keith and I would probably be a good idea to add same to my inventory. However, for a lot of relatively small gut hooked fish which seems to happen fairly often I would still prefer small forceps.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Hmm, difficult one. I was inclined to opt for 10" so I didn't run out of forcep on a deep-hooked fish, but I can imagine they could be awkward when the extra length is not needed. (Wish I hadn't lost the others - no idea when it happened even.)

What about the kind you find advertised everywhere - the medical sort. Are they robust enough for sea fishing, crushing barbs and the like?

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

merical ones are made of the top rate stainlees and are the least prone to rusting . i have used medical standed forceps for years and never had any probs .they might cost a bit more but well worth it in my opinioun
cheers steve

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Thanks chaps. Just have to pick a supplier now.