Occasional

Lack of maintenance instructions with new tackle

Post by Judgegeoff »

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

Hello Geoff

The rod just wants a wipe down with a damp cloth after use and keep it in a rod bag to avoid scratches unless like me you don't mind the odd scratched rod.
The reel just wants a rinse under a tap with warm water to remove any salt build up, oiling depends on how often you use it. Do not immerse it in water and don't use hot water just warm.
About every 6 months remove the spool and make sure that everything is clean.
Every year the side plate can be removed and the insides checked to see if it needs re-greasing but if you are not using the reel very often then just do the side plate every 1 or 2 years.
Don't use WD40 on any greased parts as it will remove the grease.
Enjoy the fishing,

Carl.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff »

Thanks Carl,

I do all the things you've mentioned, but I still think that a few instructions and diagrams showing the owner how to take it apart and lubricate would not go amiss. If I was a newcomer to fishing I probably wouldn't know where to start!

I suspect that the rods and reels are made in China for a couple of pounds each, shipping costs next to nothing thanks to containers, so it is the importer, wholesaler and retailer that make a lot of money from them (although I don't suppose the retailer makes as much as the other two!). Surely one of them could get a few instructions printed.

Cheers, Geoff :) :) :)

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi geoff
i totaly agree with you
cheers steve

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

I agree they could and should offer maintenance advice, but this is down to the manufacturer and their customer (Who will be the importer).
The problem is that 99.9% of Chinese imports are sold as seen as far as the Chinese are concerned. This not just limited to fishing gear but also heavy industry, technical parts and items that are safety critical. They leave any issues to the importer to sort out, even when its the manufacturer at fault.
The basic idea is that if you have a choice, go for a well known brand so that you can at least go to them with issues.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Another issue is the exploded view of the internal parts of the reel printed on a piece of paper . smaller I may add than what tou use to use for your abloutions. Although I do believe that you can download certain diagrams on the nett and print them off A4 size.
Cheers
keith :D :D