Moderator: Admin

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Test Curves/Casting Weights

Post by rabbi2 »

Can anyone give me the equivalent 3lb test curve = Casting weight

3.5lb test curve = casting weight

Or event the forumula to convert one to the other.

The reason for my quetion is that I think more coarse fishing gear can be pressed in to service for Sea angling for flattie bashing or where distance is unimportant.
Cheers
keith :D :D

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Test curve is a guide to rod power and action. It is a function of both, and it is usually taken to be the weight in pounds and ounces needed to pull the tip of a rod round to 90 degrees to the butt. Just like length of a rod, it is handy to have a measurement that can tell you something about the power of a rod. It can be measured in a number of ways, but simplest is to imagine a rod, clamped by its handle in a horizontal position, a few feet off the ground. With line threaded through the rings, you attach a weight close to the tip ring. Start off with 1lb on a rod assumed to be say 2lb test curve. The rod will now bend under the weight, the tip moving lower, and a curve developing throughout the rod. To measure test curve you simply add weight until the tip is at right angles to the butt section. Another option is to use a spring balance to load applied as you increasing the pull at right angles to the butt. So the test curve of the rod equals the weight applied, the load, to bring the tip to 90 degrees from the butt. ;)

The old method and is still used today for some companies works as follows.

3.5lb rod = 3.5 oz weight But in some rods this method is flawed as some 3lb tc rods actually bend at the angle required with 3.5oz and not 3oz as stated.

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

Test curves were a more common way of rating the old built cane and Spanish reed rods as a guide for the line strengths you could use with the rod.
I was taught that the formula was mainline 6x test curve and tippet strength ( hooklength ) 5x test curve. Silk mainlines and gut tippets.
I,ve seen it said that with modern carbon rods you can cast 1oz / lb TC with pendulum style or 2oz / lb TC with a simple lob.
Drennan reckon that their 1,1/2 lb TC Avon rod will cast up to 3oz.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi keith
not sure on all the tech stuff but i use a 11ft 2lb test curve carp rod with 4once lead for flounders fishing at allhallows and have never had a problehm with it
cheers steve

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The reason for my orginal post was due to the fact that I spotted a rod with 2 tips one of 3lb tc and the other of 3.5lb tc and wondered if they would cope with a 5oz gripper weight.
Cheers
keith :D :D

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

If it was a fresh water rod your on about i would say 50z gripper plus bait would put a huge strain on the rod :-O