Circle Hooks

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Mowjo

Circle Hooks

Post by Mowjo » Mon May 16, 2011 12:13 am

Hi Folks! Because I like to catch and release I've switched to using Sakuma Circle hooks, so far everything I've caught has been lip hooked so I'm pleased on that front, but I can't seem to find the best way of Baiting them, I read somwhere that you just put the hook through once leaving the gape clear but it just dosn't look right to me, I mainly use Mackeral strip on a #/2 hook, my catcht rate has dropped and my hooks come back empty but I don't know if thats because the bait is flying off or not, anyone got any advice on this one. I forgot to Mention I fish off the Harbour wall in Lowestoft..

Regards Mowjo,,,

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon May 16, 2011 7:13 am

Put the bait through the hook a couple of times or failing that a little bit of bait elastic on it. Also bait robbing crabs could be about ;)

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Wed May 18, 2011 12:22 pm

lot of crab activity around the pier mowjo,remember there isnt much need to launch a bait out from there so that should reduce bait flying off,i find most fish there within 20yrds.

but as how to best bait up circles,i havent a clue as i havent used them,but i will ask around for you

all the best

Andy

Mowjo

Post by Mowjo » Tue May 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks Guys! Think I have found an answer from an American Guy I talk to now and then who's been using them for years, He's a Pro fisherman over there and takes people out on trips, he uses Circles most of the time, he does a lot of reef fishing and because a lot of the fish are protected they have to catch and release, He told me to just put the hook through the bait once making sure the hook gape is clear, because when the fish takes the bait and turns to run, because of the design of the hook it hooks itself, He told me never to strike when using them as the hook will pull straight out of the fishes mouth and not make contact, I used the circles last week and had 5 small Whitting and a Flattie, all of them lip hooked so they do work,

Andy! it's very quite down there at the moment, just a few Small Codlings, and Flatties, plus there's a few small Whitting still around, I spoke to a guy today who tells me the Bass are just starting to show on North Shore/Point, bit of luck they might move around, he said the Bass are late showing this year, I'm hoping so I need to Catch something thats actually bigger than my hook, lol

Mowjo,,,

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Wed May 25, 2011 7:13 pm

i tried circle hooks but didnt like them, moved onto offset hooks and loved them, i found a better hook up than circles, equally good for c&r and much better bait presentation.
the gamakatsu brand are the ones ive used, not the cheapest but very sharp and strong. well worth the money.