Sussex Fishing Ban!

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Sussex Fishing Ban!

Post by eccles » Wed May 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Anglers in Sussex need our support lads and lasses. The council has gone bonkers and is trying to set up a byelaw to ban beach fishing in the summer.

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver » Wed May 11, 2011 3:25 pm

:) sorry eccles but i have to agree there should be no beach fishing in the summer months,due to swimmers etc,after all there r plenty of quay walls n piers to fish off.
just one mans opinion,probably will cause a debate though.
screemin reels.
whitby.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed May 11, 2011 3:36 pm

I guess you have never been down south: The vast majority of us pay attention to the numbers of children, old folk, etc., who are using the beach and just don't go there when there are lots of holiday makers around. We do not in fact have many piers and quays which are accessible to anglers but we do have long stretches of beach which are often almost deserted. Thus my own local beach is over 4 miles long and today because it is cloudy and cool and the kids are at school, there is almost no-one there, except a few anglers of course.

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver » Wed May 11, 2011 3:39 pm

i knew this would happen no one on this forum is allowed an opinion
whitby.

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Wed May 11, 2011 4:20 pm

kinda makes me glad that the irish politicians and councils are just corrupt and not just plain daft.

i could understand it if angling was barred between certain hours but a straight up ban is just ridiculous. whos gonna be swimming between 9pm and 8am when the majority of angling will be done? is there anything behind it like kids standing on discarded hooks or is it just to free up beaches?
are they also gonna ban surfing?

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi people most anglers use their heads and wont fish a crowded beach and if it is not busy why should we not be allowed to fish.Everyone should beable to voice thier opinion.And me personally find this site very good for that purpose.

CHEERS

DAZ :) :) :) :)

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Wed May 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi, I think eccles has a good point, we have many beaches here that are popular with holiday makers, but we still fish the remote areas of these beaches. Usually the popular parts are where the seafront cafes etc are situated, but for the next 3 miles down its dserted except for dog walkers etc. I dont think eccles meant anything when he said you've not been down south, hes just pointing out the beaches are miles long, and only a fraction is populated. If we think about it, piers etc are more dangerous for tourists, there is less space to walk past anglers, and if there was a snapoff more chance of hitting someone. I can see WDs, point if a beach is small and full of kiddies etc, but to ban fishing along the entire coastline is lunacy, but then we all know the lunatics are running the asylum. What they should do is ban fishing in front of seafronts, and maybe a few hundred yards either side. This type of ban applies to dogs on certain beaches on the N/east coast, but only during holiday season, and not the entire coastline. so it would work for anglers. Cheers..Mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:57 pm

whitbydiver wrote:i knew this would happen no one on this forum is allowed an opinion
whitby.
Far from the truth my friend, everyone has their opinion and are most certainly allowed to voice it unless inflammatory or racist etc.

On the other side of the coin how many of us have had to put up with power boats and jet skis etc deliberately spoiling our days fishing?
Everyone has the right to fish the shore of Britain unless it is a nursery.

I will be watching this post very carefully and will lock it or delete it at the first signs of trouble.
Rabbi2 Mod

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver » Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 pm

:) cheers rabbi.
whitby.

AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

Post by AndyH » Wed May 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Eastbourne has had this ban( 1st May to 30 Sept) for a number of years, but if you go away from the tourist areas you can still fish.

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad » Thu May 12, 2011 7:36 am

would this ban include night fishing?

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 am

its probably a few bad apples that has caused the implementation of this proposed ban,more likely due to litter and unsafe practices.

we have a beach dog ban here from may to sept. which is clearly signed but ignored.

i would have no problem with an angling ban on my local tourist beach,up until 6pm during the summer season. but a common sense approach would be needed from officials (oops did i put put commonsense and authority in the same sentence lol).

case in point,i recently witnessed an grandad teaching his grandson to cast from the beach,nothing odd in that you say,until you hear it was the most popular part of our tourist beach on a saturday afternoon on one of the sunniest days so far,right next to a life guard station. its stupidity like this along our coastlines that will bring such bans into force.

Andy

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad » Thu May 12, 2011 7:51 am

would this ban include night fishing?

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu May 12, 2011 9:28 am

fishmad wrote:would this ban include night fishing?
No as i think they are thinking of the tourists during the day. To be honest who would fish a beach full of swimmers anyway. Most of us wait for the evening and catch then ;)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu May 12, 2011 11:16 am

flattiefanatic wrote:
fishmad wrote:would this ban include night fishing?
No as i think they are thinking of the tourists during the day. To be honest who would fish a beach full of swimmers anyway. Most of us wait for the evening and catch then ;)
Precisely, when we had the heat wave a couple of weeks ago, I knew what the beach would be like so I didn't go.