Its a crazy idea, But!

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Its a crazy idea, But!

Post by manic_muppet » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi, as you know the fundraising matches are nearly over, just one to go. They far exceeded my expectations, especially the S/east thames match. But now aprt ffrom the holiday next week, and the N/west match on the 22nd may, ive met all my targets for the 7 months i was given. All treatment has stopped now, and its downhill all the way from here, but im determined not to lie down and wait for the inevitable. Ive come up with the idea of a fishathon, a solo round the country fishing/fundraising marathon lasting as long, and as far as i can. This would probably start on the N/east coast, as i know peeps there. It would of course cost me personally a small fortune in fuel etc to do it, but if i could get sponsors in each town etc i fished, could be worth the effort involved. Ive spoken to cancer support fundraisers Hayley n Linda, and they would get me started by trying to get it advertised on local news and papers. My biggest problem is where to pitch my tent at each venue, which is where im relying on the members on here again. I will be contacting certain companies to see if they could donate a pitch for a few days etc, to keep costs down, but it would really help if anyone anywhere on any coast could help me get a spot in a field or whatever, (Donated to help the cause) This would be a massive undertaking for me, as i obviously feel less able as each week goes by, but i cant think of anything else that would keep me as motivated or busy as this. If anyone thinks they could help out regarding pitching it would be a great help, even filling a water bottle would make all the difference, i know it could be rough at times, but im up for it. This is probably the last thing i will do, but if i manage it, it will be worth it. Cheers..Mick

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 pm

i hope you do well mick im away from the 4th mat till the 20th so i will help you wen i get home this is only a idea but why dont you get in touch with the caravan /camping sites and ask if they could help you as these will have showers and toilets there all listed

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Roy, those are the companies i refered to, Haven and british holidays have sites all round the country, but i might need the odd field inbetween. The idea being to stop at as many locations as possible to make the most of those on holiday etc. Cheers..Mick

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:35 am

come on people support mick on this,and offer pitches (ive already offered my humble home) and access to all my super secret blanking hot spots >:)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:04 am

I think it is a well intentioned idea although crazy.

Mick do you realise the the cost to your health could be devastating and could be the final straw? You would be OK in this fine weather but the nights can still be cold and if the cancer didn't see you off, the possibly pneumonia cetainly would.

I would urge you to seriously reconsider such and undertaking although at the end of the day only you can decide.

Whatever your decision you know you have my support.
Cheers
Keith :D :D
Last edited by rabbi2 on Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:11 am

Cheers Andy, its a start, and much appreciated. All i need is a place to throw up the tent for a few days at each venue, It can be a farmers field, or a little corner in a back garden. :D the idea is to stop in as many places as possible, and get as far round the country as i can, raising money on the way. I should say now that im not looking to the members to donate to this, they have already done that with the matches. All i want is a little input from members as to where i could probably stay etc, plus help with local fishing info. I will be paying for the fuel and everything else myself, so all money collected would go to charity. It goes without saying that the closer the venues are, the easier it would be. :D

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:20 am

You may be right keith, but sitting in this bedroom every day is worse. it wouldnt be for at least a month yet, it would need a lot of advertising, plus a list and dates of all the venues i hope to reach. I can probably get started somewhere near Whitby, then down to Scabby, Filey, Bridlington, then the Withernsea/Spurn area. then over the Humber to the East coast. and so on. just a hop of between 20 and 40 miles a day would do. :D

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Oh well, 3 offers of help isnt going to do it, so it looks like a non starter. I'm surprised no one knows any addresses of places where i could pitch up, but what can you do, except just set off and hope you dont need to sleep in a layby. I will have to get together with my mates John smith, and Joshua tetley, to see what else i can do. :(

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Sun May 01, 2011 4:51 am

dont give up on this mick,im sure by the end of this week coming the offers and support will flood in,have faith brother ;)

all the best

Andy

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 am

Hi manic if your coming down our way and give me dates and where you want to go I will do my best by phoning around sites would say stay at mine but no room.as said before dont give dont give up on the idea m8.hope this helps and restores your confidence in people on these forums. PM me dates and venus you want to visit down my neck of the woods.

GOOD LUCK TIGHT LINES

DAZ ;) :D ;)

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Sun May 01, 2011 5:51 pm

mick you have seen the pulling power of this site.its only been a few days and with the country in a state of celebrating and bank holidays things are going to be slow.
if you decide to make it to our part of the coast ,southsea,portsmouth.theres a camp site with showers,bar ,right on the beach .heaven really ,no fish but .
things will pick up in the nxt few weeks ,and flattiefanatic only lives round the corner.dont give up mate,but also dont rush things like kieth says.
i think most of us can understand, not relise, what u r going through.
fair play to you mate for what you have already acheived.
take care mick from me mick.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Sun May 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks lads, if i can get enough stops so im not overdoing the driving, i will give it some thought, though it might be an idea to have someone with me in case of emergency. and also to complete it as quick as possible. So far i can get as far as lowestoft, but need a few places to get me to the welsh coast, ending on the N/west, I will take a look on the map, see where i can stay now, and the areas i still need to get all the way round. I also need to know my stops so the local papers can report on it, plus Calendar news on TV. One thing thats going to help is piers, places where peeps go on holiday, so i need post codes and addresses etc. Cheers..Mick

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Mon May 02, 2011 9:39 am

lowestoft south pier is where i was going to take you mick,you'll have the pleasure of my company(if you want to call it that) for the duration in my neck of the woods ;)

good luck

Andy

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 am

Good Luck with the holiday Mick, catch some fish this time!!!!!!!1
Cheers
keith :D :D

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad » Mon May 16, 2011 3:04 pm

i would say you could stay at mine but i live in the midlands and there arent that many good sea marks around this way but i wish you all the best try getting in touch with the angling press that will definately take you quest to a huge audience.

regards
Andy