Help me (help a newbie)

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

Help me (help a newbie)

Post by actionsanta » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:50 pm

With the help of hindsight, if I could go back to when I first started out Sea fishing. I often wonder if I should have bought expensive gear vs cheap gear.

The reason for my rather vague beginning is this. I have a friend who is just starting out (literally his 2nd trip next week) He is asking me what gear to buy. (He is using mine) Now apart from the obvious terminal stuff, I haven't a clue what advice to give him..

What can you advise?

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:30 pm

he should go cheap to start with,as he/she may not get into it,upgrading can come later,basic gear: f/s rod,f/s reel,tripod,brolly,clothing,and plenty of terminal tackle,plenty of patience (not sure if that can be bought secondhand lol) and dont forget a headlamp

all the best

Andy

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 am

My sentiments exactly. If expensive gear was bought and interest in the sport dwindled the as you know if he/she came to sell it very little of the original cost would be retrieved. Well done Andy sound advice indeed.
Cheers
Keith :D :D

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:21 am

hi action
the obvious place to look is ebay some great deal on compleat set ups but dont forget the tackle shops .find out how much your mate wants to spend and then go into a couple or so shops and just ask what can you let me have for the x amount you might just be supprised at what you get for the money
steve

actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

Post by actionsanta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 am

Hi DCM, I absolutely detest Ebay. I have and always will use my local tackle shops. But I know where your coming from.

The problem I am having is: If he buys cheap, and likes it, its only going to last a season at best. (ie, my first multiplier was a fladen level wind. Would not even give it to my son to use. It lasted maybe 15 casts then the bearings went). I think I scared him off multipliers by showing him a birds nest. I said it happens to the pros as well, but untill you get used to it these things may happen.

I just wish that I had someone to steer me in the right direction when I first started out, now I am in the situation of helping a friend do the same.

I firstly told him about the importance of shock-leader and knot's, and how to join two pieces of line together. (easy for me I have small fingers, but he has fingers like babies legs!)

I think its also a good idea for the newbie to buy ready made rigs for the first couple of sessions. That way you see first hand how they are made and what knots to use etc. It can become a minefield when you start thinking about tying your own rigs, is the snood the right length etc.

I don't believe in having to chuck a lead weight 200 yards, especially in my neck of the woods.

I also noticed when we fished together for the first time, that he struck at every bite, this is a common misconception brought about by fresh water angling. Let the bite develop, if you have the rig set up correctly 9 times out of 10 the fish will self hook. Except in surf situations where you may have to.

lastly I think its important to scale down what you take to the beach. I used to take every single piece of kit I owned to the beach ( I dont drive so you can imagine how much fun that was!) This is no longer the case, If I am off to the pier I take spare leads, packet of rig winders with assorted rigs, forceps, scissors, bait needle, and a few hooks. When fishing off the beach I take a small box of assorted tackle, beach buddy, tripod etc.

There is nothing worse than filling up a team box full to the brim of spare this and just incase that, and not using any of it.

All of the above I know comes with experiance, and getting things wrong to beging with, hey its called learning, but if someone can help you get over the common problems, I think anyway, that your half way there.....

Note. I know there is loads more to tell him regarding feeding patterns, tides, weather, wind, etc. But I feel this may hamper his enjoyment, so will cover these with him later.

Have I missed out anything important?

Steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 am

hi action
i dont think youve missed much out .but as he is your friend you are proberly trying to hard to help which is only natural so i would say take him and his money to a good shop and ask them to set him up with the basic gear needed and dont say a thing unless they try to rip him off .that way he will get just what he needs to start with andyou can then advise him on what he has and not what you would have
best of luck to you both .we all try to help out a bit to much when it comes to getting people started i think with more than they need
cheers steve

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 am

"Note. I know there is loads more to tell him regarding feeding patterns, tides, weather, wind, etc. But I feel this may hamper his enjoyment, so will cover these with him later. "

all this will come with experience,just get your friend to chuck some bait in the water for now.im quite lucky where i live we have a tackle exchange shop,new and secondhand gear (quality stuff).try not to overwhelm your buddy with info,and get him to read up about angling on sites like this and others

best of luck

Andy

maniacmark

Post by maniacmark » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi
reasonable price gear can last as long or as short as the way you treat it.
I got two budget 8' rods and f/s reels for my two kids, (11 & 13) from Lidl's.
20-50 yards manages to get them more fish than me at 120 yards, incuding some nice size doggies.

good luck with the teaching.

mark