How much Leader?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

kevmann
Occasional
Occasional

How much Leader?

Post by kevmann »

Any ideas/advice on what length of leader I should use please?
I use 25lb breaking strain with either 4 or 5oz weights.

Regards

Kev

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The general formula is the length of the rod plus 6 turns on the spool/
Cheers
keith :D :D

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

as keith said six turns around your reel then what i do is the length of the rod then back to the first ring back down the rod but if your casting 4-5oz leads then you want to be useing a minimum 40lb shockleader

Dave :D
Last edited by jacko69 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

rabbi2 wrote:The general formula is the length of the rod plus 6 turns on the spool/
Cheers
keith :D :D
What Keith said ;)

kevmann
Occasional
Occasional

Post by kevmann »

Thanks guys. I've got 60lb leader. So roughly 10 - 12 yards (in proper money) should be ok.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

how long is your rod? and how tall are you? as a general rule,that i follow,with arms out stretched is roughly the same length as your height ,now the maths bit lol.

if say you are 6ft tall and you have a 12ft rod you will need roughly 4.5 arm stretches of shockleader,if you get my drift. this includes enough for shock knot and end clip etc

this way i have found that instead of trying to faff about trying to feed the shock back through the rings then tying etc you can just measure a bit out and tie on.i have never been let down with this formula

ps how many of you are now measuring the distance between outstretched fingertips lol and seeing how tall you are

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Too much effort for me just attach shockleader length of your rod and 6 turns. More than ample ;)

kevmann
Occasional
Occasional

Post by kevmann »

andy1_i wrote:how long is your rod? and how tall are you? as a general rule,that i follow,with arms out stretched is roughly the same length as your height ,now the maths bit lol.

if say you are 6ft tall and you have a 12ft rod you will need roughly 4.5 arm stretches of shockleader,if you get my drift. this includes enough for shock knot and end clip etc

this way i have found that instead of trying to faff about trying to feed the shock back through the rings then tying etc you can just measure a bit out and tie on.i have never been let down with this formula

ps how many of you are now measuring the distance between outstretched fingertips lol and seeing how tall you are

6'3........12ft cane rod and 20 0dd stone to go behind it

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i use a similar principle to andy.i go for about 2 1/2 rod lengths (dont forget to take into consideration the size of your spool) as i'm about 5'8", if i'm using my 13' rod, thats roughly six outsretched arms.

the other way, is simply to tie your leader on, leaving it on the spool, then reel it in until it is round the reel 6 times, then cut it off where it hangs bak at the reael (after going up to the tip and back down) tie on your clip, rig ad lead, then Wolop out it goes.

Just try not to let your spool of line go rolling off....
inidentally i only use 60lb line, i rarely buy specific 'shock leader, line. though i do plan to have a try of tapered shock leader at some point soon

graham

fishbonkers

Post by fishbonkers »

andy1_i wrote:

Exactly the way I've been doing it since the 1980s !!

Geoff